Welcome to Rice Cookers 101! Today, I am excited to share with you a delicious and flavorful recipe for Spicy Catfish Rice. This dish combines tender and succulent catfish with a spicy blend of flavors that include garlic, ginger, and chili paste. The rice is perfectly cooked in a rice cooker which makes this meal even more convenient. It’s an easy recipe that’s perfect for anyone who loves a little heat in their meal. So, let’s get started! We’ve made this spicy catfish rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 1 lb. catfish fillets
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large oven-safe skillet or cast-iron pan, heat 1 tbsp. oil over medium heat. Add the catfish fillets and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, until lightly browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add another tablespoon of oil and sauté the onion and jalapeno pepper until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the rice, tomatoes, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine and cook for 1-2 minutes until the rice is lightly toasted.
- Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Place the catfish fillets on top of the rice mixture, cover with a lid or foil, and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the catfish is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve with lime wedges on the side.
How long does spicy catfish rice last in the fridge?
Spicy catfish rice can be stored in the refrigerator after cooking for up to 3-4 days. It is important to make sure the rice is stored in an airtight container to prevent bacterial growth. When reheating the rice, it is recommended to add a small amount of water, cover it with a lid, and reheat it in the microwave or oven until it reaches the desired temperature. If you have any doubts about the quality of the rice, it is best to err on the side of caution and discard it.
Low calorie spicy catfish rice recipe substitutions
To make the spicy catfish rice recipe lower in calories, there are a few substitutions that can be made. Instead of using one cup of uncooked rice, it can be replaced with half a cup of brown rice or quinoa, which are lower in calories and have more fiber. For the catfish, it can be substituted with any lean white fish like cod or halibut, which are lower in calories and fat. To reduce the sodium content, a low-sodium chicken broth can be used, and the amount of salt can be reduced to half a teaspoon. Finally, using a cooking spray instead of oil to cook the catfish can also help reduce calories.
What to serve with a spicy catfish rice?
You could serve a side salad with mixed greens and cherry tomatoes, dressed with a vinaigrette. Or, you could make a simple coleslaw with shredded cabbage, carrots, and a creamy dressing. Additionally, roasted or grilled vegetables such as asparagus, green beans, or zucchini would also complement the flavors of the spicy catfish rice. For a heartier option, cornbread or garlic bread would be a delicious addition.
Whats the best sauce for a spicy catfish rice?
For a spicy catfish rice dish, the best sauce would be a tangy and spicy hot sauce made with chili peppers, vinegar, and seasonings like garlic and onion. A great option would be a Louisiana-style hot sauce, which adds a delicious kick of heat and depth of flavor to the dish. You could also try making a homemade hot sauce by blending fresh chili peppers, vinegar, and spices to your liking. Another great option would be a creamy and spicy mayonnaise-based sauce, such as Remoulade, which would complement the crunchy texture of the catfish and add a cooling element to balance out the heat.
Spicy catfish rice health benefits
Spicy catfish rice can have several health benefits. Catfish is a lean source of protein and is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which can help reduce inflammation and promote heart health. The spiciness in the dish is often derived from chili peppers which contain capsaicin. Capsaicin has been shown to boost metabolism, aid in digestion, and reduce inflammation. The rice adds fiber and complex carbohydrates to the dish, providing sustained energy levels. However, the use of added sugar, oil, and sodium can reduce the overall healthfulness of the dish. For a healthier recipe, you could try baked salmon with quinoa and roasted vegetables. Salmon is also a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, and quinoa is high in protein and fiber. Roasted vegetables add vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to the dish.