Greetings, rice lovers! Welcome to Rice Cookers 101, your one-stop destination for all things rice cooker-related. Today, we bring you an irresistible recipe for Spicy Paella Rice. A delightful Spanish rice dish packed with a fusion of flavors, bold spices, and tantalizing aroma. If you are a fan of bold flavors and love a good spice kick in your meals, this recipe is just for you. So, let’s dust off your rice cooker and create a flavorful and satisfying dish that will delight your taste buds! We’ve made this spicy paella rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 chorizo sausage, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 chopped onion and 1 sliced red bell pepper and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 sliced chorizo sausage and 4 minced garlic cloves and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and stir to coat the vegetables and sausage.
- Add 1 cup arborio rice and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in 2 cups chicken broth and 1 drained can diced tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover the skillet, and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Uncover and add 1/2 lb shrimp and 1/2 cup frozen peas.
- Cover again and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the shrimp are pink and fully cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve hot, garnished with lemon wedges.
How long does spicy paella rice last in the fridge?
Spicy paella rice can be stored in the fridge after cooking for up to 3-4 days as long as it has been properly stored in an airtight container. It is important to let the rice cool down to room temperature before placing it in the fridge to avoid any bacteria growth. When reheating, make sure the rice is heated until it is steaming hot throughout. Be aware that rice left at room temperature for more than 2 hours should not be stored in the fridge, as it can lead to bacterial growth and potential food poisoning. If you are unsure about the safety of the rice, it is best to err on the side of caution and discard it.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!
Low calorie spicy paella rice recipe substitutions
To make this recipe lower calorie, you can make a few substitutions. Replace the chorizo sausage with turkey or chicken sausage, which has fewer calories and less fat. You can also use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth to reduce the calorie count. Reduce the amount of olive oil to 1 tablespoon and use cooking spray to coat the skillet. Add more vegetables such as zucchini, carrots, or green beans instead of peas. Finally, use brown rice instead of Arborio rice to increase the fibre content. These adjustments can significantly reduce the calorie content of this recipe while maintaining delicious flavour and nutrition.
What to serve with a spicy paella rice?
Spicy paella rice is a delicious and flavorful dish that pairs well with a variety of side dishes. One option is to serve it with a simple green salad dressed with a tangy vinaigrette. The lightness and freshness of the salad provides a nice contrast to the bold flavors of the paella rice. Another great option is grilled or roasted vegetables, such as bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant, and mushrooms. The charred flavors and smokiness of the vegetables complement the spiciness of the rice. Finally, a chilled glass of white wine or a refreshing sangria can help to balance out the heat of the dish and enhance its flavor.
Whats the best sauce for a spicy paella rice?
There are many different sauces that can be paired with spicy paella rice, but one of the most popular options is a simple aioli. Made with garlic, olive oil, egg yolks, lemon juice, and salt, aioli provides a creamy, rich complement to the bold flavors of the paella. To make the sauce, start by crushing several cloves of garlic in a mortar and pestle, then whisk in the egg yolk and gradually add the olive oil until the mixture becomes thick and emulsified. Season with salt and lemon juice to taste, and serve alongside the paella for a delicious and satisfying meal.
Spicy paella rice health benefits
Spicy paella rice can have some health benefits! The spiciness is often due to the addition of chili peppers which contain capsaicin. Capsaicin has been shown to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which can help to reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease. Additionally, the ingredients used in paella, such as seafood, vegetables, and chicken, provide a source of protein, vitamins, and minerals. However, paella can also be high in sodium and saturated fat depending on the preparation method. For a healthier alternative, a quinoa and vegetable stir fry would be a great option as it is high in fiber, protein, and contains a good mix of vitamins and minerals.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!