Hello and welcome to Rice Cookers 101. Today, we will guide you on how to make a delicious and spicy mackerel rice using your rice cooker. This recipe is an exciting combination of flavorful mackerel and aromatic spices, that is sure to tickle your taste buds. This dish is also easy to prepare and can be enjoyed as a quick lunch or dinner option. So, let’s get started and learn how to cook this mouth-watering recipe. We’ve made this spicy mackeral rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 2 pcs of mackerel fish, cleaned and cut into pieces
- 3 cups of rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 2-3 red chillies, chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 1/2 cups of water
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped (optional)
- Wash the rice in a bowl and rinse it until the water runs clear.
- Soak rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Chop 1 onion, 4 cloves of garlic and 2-3 red chillies finely.
- Grate 1 inch of ginger.
- In a pan, heat 3 tbsp of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, ginger and red chillies. Cook for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add 1 tsp of coriander powder, 1 tsp of cumin powder, 1 tsp of turmeric powder and 1 tbsp of tomato paste to the pan. Mix well.
- Add 2 pieces of mackerel fish that have been cleaned and cut into pieces. Fry until golden brown from both sides.
- Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Add rice to the pan and mix everything together. Fry for 2-3 minutes until the rice is well coated with spices.
- Add 4 and 1/2 cups of water to the pan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover the pan with a lid and let the rice cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed and the rice is fully cooked through.
- Remove the pan from heat, uncover, and let the rice sit for another 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves, if desired.
- Enjoy your Spicy Mackerel Rice!
How long does spicy mackeral rice last in the fridge?
Spicy mackerel rice can typically be stored in the fridge for up to 3-4 days after cooking. However, it is important to ensure that it is properly stored in an airtight container to avoid contamination or spoilage. When reheating, it is best to avoid using the microwave and instead reheat it on the stovetop, adding a little bit of water or broth to prevent it from drying out. Additionally, it is important to note that the longer the dish is stored, the less flavorful it may become, so it is best to consume it within a few days for optimal taste and freshness.
Low calorie spicy mackeral rice recipe substitutions
To make this recipe lower in calories, we can make some substitutions. Instead of using mackerel, which is a fatty fish, we can use a leaner fish like cod or tilapia. We can also replace vegetable oil with a non-stick cooking spray or a small amount of olive oil. Instead of white rice, we can use brown rice or quinoa which has more fiber and protein. Additionally, we can reduce the amount of rice and increase the amount of vegetables like spinach, bell peppers, or carrots to add bulk and nutrition without adding many calories. Instead of tomato paste, we can use fresh tomatoes or tomato sauce with no added sugar. Finally, we can reduce the amount of salt and add more herbs and spices like parsley or paprika to add flavor without adding calories. By making these changes, we can create a healthier, lower calorie version of spicy fish rice.
What to serve with a spicy mackeral rice?
When serving spicy mackerel rice, there are a variety of side dishes that would complement the dish well. A refreshing and tangy cucumber salad would provide a nice contrast to the heat of the rice. Roasted or steamed vegetables, such as broccoli or carrots, would add some extra nutrition and color to the plate. A side of naan bread or pita would also complement the flavors of the rice. Lastly, a cool beverage such as iced tea or lemonade would help to quench any lingering spicy heat.
Whats the best sauce for a spicy mackeral rice?
The best sauce to pair with spicy mackerel rice depends on personal preference, but one great option is a spicy tomato sauce. This can be made by sautéing onions and garlic in olive oil before adding cans of diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and red pepper flakes. Season to taste with salt and black pepper, and let the sauce simmer for around 20 minutes until thickened. This sauce pairs perfectly with the spicy mackerel rice, providing a tangy and slightly sweet complement to the spicy fish flavors.
Spicy mackeral rice health benefits
Spicy mackerel rice has several health benefits. Mackerel is a fatty fish, which means it is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, which may help reduce inflammation and lower the risk of heart disease. The spices, such as turmeric and ginger, have anti-inflammatory properties, may improve digestion, and boost the immune system. Rice provides carbohydrates, which are an excellent source of energy. However, it’s vital to keep an eye on serving size as the dish can be quite calorie-dense and high in sodium. But if someone is looking for a healthier alternative, a salmon and quinoa bowl with steamed vegetables would be an excellent option. It is rich in protein, healthy fats, and fibrous carbohydrates. The bowl can be customized with any vegetable, making it a quick and easy meal that satisfies all nutritional needs.