Hello everyone and welcome to Rice Cookers 101! Today, I am excited to share with you one of my all-time favorite dishes: Chinese Chicken Rice. This classic Chinese dish is not only delicious but also easy to make with the help of a rice cooker. With just a few simple steps, you can have a flavorful and nutritious meal that will satisfy your taste buds and keep you feeling full for hours. So, let’s get cooking! We’ve made this chinese chicken rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, minced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Rinse the rice in cold water and drain it well.
- Bring the 2 cups of water to a boil in a large pot. Add the rinsed rice to the pot and stir well.
- Bring the water back to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with a tight fitting lid. Cook for 18 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let rice sit in the pot with the lid still on for 10 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, cut 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts into small pieces, and mix together 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce, and 1 tablespoon of sesame oil.
- Add the chicken to the soy sauce mixture and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Then, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large wok or frying pan over high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the minced garlic and ginger, and stir-fry for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the marinated chicken to the pan and stir-fry until it’s cooked through, which should take about 5 minutes.
- Finally, stir in 3 thinly sliced green onions, then remove the pan from heat.
- Fluff the cooked rice with a fork, then serve it with the chicken mixture on top. Enjoy your delicious Chinese Chicken Rice!
How long does chinese chicken rice last in the fridge?
Chinese chicken rice can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days after cooking. To ensure that it remains fresh and safe to eat, it should be stored as soon as it has cooled to room temperature. When reheating, it is important to heat it thoroughly until it is piping hot all the way through, using a microwave, stove or oven. It is not recommended to leave cooked rice at room temperature for more than two hours, as this increases the risk of bacterial growth and foodborne illness. If you are unsure whether the rice is still safe to eat, it’s best to err on the side of caution and discard it.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!
Low calorie chinese chicken rice recipe substitutions
To make this Chinese chicken rice recipe lower in calories, you could make a few substitutions. First, swap out jasmine rice for cauliflower rice or brown rice to decrease the overall calorie and carb content of the recipe. Second, use leaner cuts of chicken breast or use tofu as a vegetarian alternative to reduce fat and calorie content. Thirdly, use reduced-sodium soy sauce and oyster sauce or substitute with low-sodium chicken broth and spices to decrease the overall sodium content. Finally, use cooking spray instead of vegetable oil to grease the pan to further reduce calorie content.
What to serve with a chinese chicken rice?
Chinese chicken rice is a tasty and satisfying dish that can be served on its own or paired with some sides for a more complete meal. Some great options for sides would be stir-fried vegetables such as bok choy, carrots, and broccoli. Another popular choice would be to serve steamed dumplings, either pork or vegetable, as an appetizer or side dish. Additionally, a side salad of mixed greens with a sesame dressing would complement the flavors of the chicken and rice dish nicely. Finally, some chili sauce or soy sauce can be served on the side for an extra savory kick.
Whats the best sauce for a chinese chicken rice?
The best sauce for Chinese chicken rice is a combination of soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sesame oil. This classic trio of flavors creates a rich and savory sauce that perfectly complements the flavors of the tender chicken and fragrant rice. You can adjust the ratio of the sauces to suit your personal taste, but a good starting point is one part soy sauce to one part oyster sauce, and a drizzle of sesame oil to finish. You can also add some chopped garlic, ginger, or green onions for extra depth of flavor. Simply mix the ingredients together in a small bowl and spoon over your serving of chicken rice for a delicious meal.
Chinese chicken rice health benefits
Chinese chicken rice can be a healthy option if prepared with the right ingredients. Chicken is a good source of protein and rice is a complex carbohydrate that provides energy. However, the dish can be high in sodium if soy sauce is added excessively. To make it healthier, use brown rice instead of white rice, which contains more fiber and nutrients. Add more vegetables such as carrots, peas, and broccoli to increase the nutrient content. Use low-sodium soy sauce or tamari sauce for seasoning. Overall, Chinese chicken rice can be a healthy meal if prepared with the right ingredients and in moderation.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!