Welcome to Rice Cookers 101! Today we will be exploring the delicious and hearty dish of Filipino Chicken Rice. This dish is a classic favorite in Filipino cuisine and is known for its rich flavors and tender chicken. With the help of your rice cooker, you can easily create this comforting and satisfying meal in just a few simple steps. So, let’s get started and learn how to make this delicious Filipino Chicken Rice! We’ve made this filipino chicken rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Place a large pot or Dutch oven on the stove and set heat to medium. Pour 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil into the pot and allow the oil to heat up for a minute.
- Add 1 chopped onion and 3 cloves of minced garlic to the pot and sauté for 3-5 minutes until they have softened.
- Next, add 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken thighs which have been cut into bite-sized pieces. Brown the chicken on all sides.
- Once the chicken has browned, add 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper to the pot. Stir everything together and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of uncooked long-grain white rice to the pot and mix it together with the chicken and aromatics.
- Add 2 cups of chicken broth, 1 bay leaf, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of ground turmeric to the pot. Stir everything together until well combined.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let the mixture simmer for 20-25 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and remove the bay leaf from the pot. Top with 1/4 cup of sliced green onions and 1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro.
- Your Filipino Chicken Rice is now ready to be served! Enjoy!
How long does filipino chicken rice last in the fridge?
Filipino chicken rice is a dish made with chicken, rice, and various vegetables and seasonings. When cooked properly, it can be stored in the fridge for up to four days. It is important to store it in a tightly sealed container to prevent any bacteria growth. When reheating the dish, make sure it is heated thoroughly to an internal temperature of 165°F to ensure that it is safe to eat. If the dish smells or looks spoiled, do not eat it and discard it immediately.
Low calorie filipino chicken rice recipe substitutions
To make this Filipino Chicken Rice recipe lower in calories, we can make some substitutions. Instead of using vegetable oil, we can use a non-stick cooking spray. We can also use boneless, skinless chicken breast instead of chicken thighs to reduce the amount of fat. Instead of using long-grain white rice, we can use cauliflower rice, which has fewer calories and a lower carbohydrate count. For the chicken broth, we can use a low-sodium or unsalted version to reduce the amount of sodium. Lastly, we can reduce the amount of rice used in the recipe and increase the amount of vegetables such as carrots, bell peppers and green beans to bulk up the dish and add more nutritional value. By making these substitutions, we can make the recipe lower in calories without compromising on taste and flavor.
What to serve with a filipino chicken rice?
Filipino chicken rice, also known as arroz caldo, is a hearty and filling meal on its own, but you can also serve it with some delicious sides to complement its flavors. Steamed vegetables like broccoli or carrots make a healthy, colorful addition to the rice. You can also pair it with a simple salad of mixed greens tossed with a tangy vinaigrette. For an extra kick, consider serving some crispy fried wontons or spring rolls on the side. Lastly, a refreshing beverage like iced tea or lemonade can cleanse the palate and round out the meal.
Whats the best sauce for a filipino chicken rice?
The best sauce for Filipino chicken rice is the traditional Filipino Soy Sauce and Vinegar (Toyo’t Suka) dipping sauce. It is a simple and easy-to-make sauce consisting of equal parts soy sauce and vinegar, and the addition of sliced onions and chili peppers for added flavor and kick. This sauce perfectly complements the savory and slightly sweet flavors of the chicken and rice, and adds a tangy and slightly sour note that enhances the overall taste of the dish. Some also like to add a squeeze of calamansi juice for an even more authentic touch.
Filipino chicken rice health benefits
Filipino chicken rice, commonly known as “arroz caldo,” can provide several health benefits. Chicken is an excellent source of protein which can help build and repair muscles, bones, and tissues. Ginger, a common ingredient in arroz caldo, has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce swelling and pain in the body. Garlic, another popular ingredient, can boost the immune system and lower cholesterol levels. However, arroz caldo is typically high in sodium and calories due to its use of rice and cooking method. To make a healthier Filipino dish, I recommend “sinigang,” a savory and sour soup made with vegetables and lean protein like fish or shrimp. It’s low in calories, packed with nutrients, and a great source of fiber.