Hello and welcome to Rice Cookers 101! Today, I am excited to share with you a recipe for Fujan artichoke rice. This aromatic and flavorful dish originated in the Fujan province in China and is a perfect way to spice up your daily rice routine. It’s a simple recipe that can be made using a rice cooker, making it an easy option for those who want to enjoy a delicious and healthy meal without spending hours in the kitchen. So, let’s get started! We’ve made this fujan artichoke rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 2 cups of uncooked medium-grain rice
- 1 can of artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 cup of diced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of diced carrots
- 1/2 cup of diced celery
- 1/4 cup of diced onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Rinse 2 cups of uncooked medium-grain rice in cold water and drain it well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a large pan.
- Add 1/4 cup of diced onion and 3 cloves of minced garlic to the pan and sauté them until they become fragrant.
- Add 1 cup each of diced mushrooms, diced carrots, and diced celery to the pan with the onion and garlic. Sauté these until the vegetables are softened.
- Add 1 can of drained and chopped artichoke hearts, the rinsed rice, 3 cups of chicken or vegetable broth, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the pan. Stir all of the ingredients thoroughly.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Make sure you stir it occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan with a lid, and let the mixture simmer for 20-25 minutes. You should see the liquid being absorbed and the rice becoming cooked.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it rest for about 5 minutes.
- Use a fork to fluff the rice before serving it hot.
How long does fujan artichoke rice last in the fridge?
Fujan artichoke rice can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days after cooking. It is important to allow the rice to cool completely before storing it in the fridge to prevent bacterial growth. Reheating the rice can be done in the microwave or on the stove with a small amount of water or broth to prevent it from becoming dry. If the rice has been stored for more than four days, it is best to discard it to avoid any potential foodborne illness.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!
Low calorie fujan artichoke rice recipe substitutions
To make this Fujian Artichoke Rice recipe lower in calories, you can substitute some of the ingredients with lower calorie options. Firstly, instead of using medium-grain rice, you could use cauliflower rice, which is lower in calories and carbohydrates. Secondly, instead of cooking the rice in a broth, you could use water or a low-sodium broth. You can also reduce the amount of oil used in sautéing the vegetables. Instead of using canned artichoke hearts, you could use frozen or fresh artichokes that are steamed or grilled to reduce the amount of sodium. Finally, you could reduce the amount of oyster sauce or eliminate it entirely and use more soy sauce to add flavor to the dish.
What to serve with a fujan artichoke rice?
Fujan artichoke rice is a flavorful dish on its own, but to enhance the overall meal, there are a few additions that would work well. A fresh salad with mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, and a light balsamic vinaigrette would add some brightness and balance to the dish. Grilled or roasted vegetables, such as asparagus or zucchini, would also complement the earthy flavors in the rice. For protein, grilled chicken or shrimp could be added, or for a vegetarian option, seasoned tofu or tempeh would work well. Finish the meal with a simple fruit salad or a light dessert to keep it refreshing.
Whats the best sauce for a fujan artichoke rice?
For Fujian artichoke rice, a rich and savory sauce with a bit of sweetness is the best complement to the earthy flavors of the artichokes and the nutty aroma of the rice. A classic choice is oyster sauce, with its umami-rich flavor and viscosity, mixed with a little sugar and some soy sauce for balance. Add some minced garlic and ginger for extra depth and complexity of flavor, and some cornstarch to thicken the sauce. Another option is a hoisin sauce, which has a similar sweet and salty profile but adds a hint of smokiness and spiciness. Mix it with a little rice vinegar and a pinch of chili flakes for a tangy kick, and drizzle it over the artichokes and rice to bring out their natural goodness.
Fujan artichoke rice health benefits
Fujan artichoke rice is a delicious and healthy dish that is packed with nutrients. Artichokes are a good source of fiber, vitamin C, potassium, and magnesium, which can help to maintain heart health, control blood sugar levels, aid in digestion, and reduce inflammation in the body. Additionally, the rice in the recipe provides complex carbohydrates that provide sustained energy. Overall, Fujan artichoke rice is a great choice for a healthy meal. However, if you are looking for an even healthier recipe, you can try quinoa and vegetable stir fry, which is also high in fiber, protein, and essential nutrients.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!