Namaste and welcome to Rice Cookers 101! Today, we’re going to explore the flavors of India with a delicious and nutritious recipe for Indian Brussels Sprout Rice. Combining the earthy taste of Brussels sprouts with aromatic Indian spices and fluffy rice, this dish is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Plus, it’s easy to make in your rice cooker, so you can enjoy authentic Indian flavors without any hassle. Let’s get cooking! We’ve made this indian brussel sprout rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brussels sprouts, washed and halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Wash the basmati rice until the water runs clear. Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes and drain.
- In a medium-sized pot, add the soaked rice, 2 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is tender and fully cooked.
- While the rice is cooking, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and cumin seeds. Stir for 1-2 minutes or until the cumin seeds are fragrant.
- Add the halved brussels sprouts to the skillet and stir to coat with the cumin seeds and olive oil. Saute for 5-7 minutes or until the brussels sprouts are tender and slightly browned.
- In a small bowl, mix together the turmeric powder, coriander powder, cayenne pepper, and garam masala. Add the spice mixture to the skillet and stir to coat the brussels sprouts.
- Once the rice is fully cooked, add the brussels sprouts mixture to the pot of rice and stir to combine. Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and let it sit for 5-10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot.
How long does indian brussel sprout rice last in the fridge?
Indian Brussels sprout rice can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four to five days after cooking, provided that it is stored in an airtight container. It is important to let the rice cool down completely before storing it in the refrigerator to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria. Additionally, reheating the rice properly is essential to ensure that it is safe to consume. Reheat the rice until it is steaming hot all the way through. If the rice has been sitting in the fridge for more than five days, it is best to discard it to avoid the risk of foodborne illness.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!
Low calorie indian brussel sprout rice recipe substitutions
To make this Indian Brussels Sprout Rice recipe lower in calories, we can make a couple of substitutions. Firstly, we can reduce the amount of rice used in the recipe by using just half a cup of rice instead of a full cup. Secondly, we can substitute half of the rice with riced cauliflower. Additionally, we can reduce the amount of olive oil used in the recipe by half and use a non-stick cooking spray instead to sauté the brussels sprouts. These substitutions will significantly reduce the calorie count of the recipe while still retaining the delicious flavors and textures.
What to serve with a indian brussel sprout rice?
Indian brussel sprout rice is a flavorful and nutritious dish that can be served as a main course or a side dish. To complement the flavors of the dish, you can serve it with a cooling raita or cucumber salad. You could also add a protein such as grilled chicken or tofu for a complete meal. Another option would be to serve it with some warm naan bread or papadums to add some crunch to the meal. Whatever you choose, the key is to balance out the spicy flavor of the rice with some refreshing and complementary sides.
Whats the best sauce for a indian brussel sprout rice?
There are a few sauce options that would complement Indian Brussels sprout rice, but one of the best options would be a creamy curry sauce. To make the sauce, start by heating some oil in a pan and sautéing chopped onions and garlic for a few minutes. Then, add in some curry powder, cumin, coriander, and turmeric, and cook for another minute or so. Next, stir in some tomato paste, coconut milk, and a pinch of salt and pepper, and let the sauce simmer for about 10 minutes until it thickens. If you want a smoother texture, you can blend the sauce in a blender or food processor. Drizzle the sauce over your Indian Brussels sprout rice, and enjoy the delicious flavors!
Indian brussel sprout rice health benefits
Indian Brussels sprout rice is a healthy and flavorful dish that provides several health benefits. Brussels sprouts are a rich source of vitamins C and K, fiber, and antioxidants that support immune and digestive health. Rice is a good source of carbohydrates and fiber that promote energy and digestion. Additionally, the recipe includes spices such as cumin, coriander, and turmeric that offer anti-inflammatory and metabolism-boosting properties to improve overall well-being. Overall, this dish is a nutritious and delicious way to enjoy a balanced meal. However, if you are looking for a healthier recipe, you can try a salad with leafy greens, lean protein, nuts, and fruits that provide a variety of vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!