Namaste and welcome to Rice Cookers 101! Today, we are excited to share with you a mouthwatering Indian halibut rice recipe that is sure to delight your taste buds. Discover a fusion of aromatic spices, flavorful herbs, and tender pieces of halibut, served over a bed of fluffy Basmati rice. This delectable dish is perfect for a dinner party or a cozy weeknight meal. Let’s get cooking! We’ve made this indian halibut rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb. halibut fillet
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the rice in cold water until the water runs clear. Drain.
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the rice and stir. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until rice is cooked and water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the halibut into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil.
- Add the onion and cook until soft and golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger paste. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomato paste and spices (cumin, coriander, chili powder, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and cardamom pods) and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the halibut to the skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add the cooked rice to the skillet and gently stir until well combined.
- Cook for an additional minute or until heated through.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot.
How long does indian halibut rice last in the fridge?
Indian halibut rice, like any other cooked rice dish, can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. It is important to store the rice in an airtight container and refrigerate it as soon as it has cooled to room temperature. Make sure to reheat the rice thoroughly before eating to kill any bacteria that may have formed. Any remaining rice that was not consumed within the 4-day period should be discarded to ensure food safety. Additionally, it is recommended to not store rice at room temperature for more than an hour, as this can increase the risk of bacterial growth.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!
Low calorie indian halibut rice recipe substitutions
To make this Indian Halibut Rice recipe lower calorie, you could make the following substitutions. First, replace the vegetable oil with a lower calorie cooking spray or a small amount of olive oil. Second, use a leaner fish such as tilapia or cod instead of halibut. Third, decrease the amount of rice used and increase the amount of vegetables such as bell peppers, carrots, and zucchini. Finally, decrease the amount of spices and salt used to reduce sodium intake. By making these substitutions, you can decrease the calorie content of the dish without sacrificing the flavor and enjoyment of the meal.
What to serve with a indian halibut rice?
Indian halibut rice is a flavorful and aromatic main dish that pairs well with a variety of sides. To complement the fish and rice flavors, a refreshing cucumber and tomato salad with a mint yogurt dressing makes a great side. Another option is to serve garlic naan bread to add a bit of texture and to sop up any leftover sauce. If you’re looking for a heartier side, roasted vegetables like cauliflower, carrots, and potatoes seasoned with cumin and turmeric can be a delightful addition to the meal.
Whats the best sauce for a indian halibut rice?
One of the most delicious sauces for Indian halibut rice is a creamy tomato-based curry sauce made with a combination of spices including cumin, coriander, turmeric, and garam masala. To make the sauce, start by sautéing garlic, onion, and ginger in oil, then add in canned tomatoes and the spice mixture. Let the sauce simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it thickens. To make it creamy, add in a can of coconut milk or some heavy cream towards the end of cooking. This sauce pairs well with the mild flavor of halibut and the fragrant spices in the rice.
Indian halibut rice health benefits
Indian Halibut Rice has several health benefits. The fish used in the recipe is a good source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for maintaining heart health, reducing inflammation, and improving brain function. The rice provides energy and fiber, which helps in improving digestion. The vegetables used in the recipe, such as onions, garlic, and ginger, are high in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, which boost the body’s immunity and also prevent chronic diseases. Overall, Indian Halibut Rice is a nutritious and healthy dish that provides the body with essential nutrients. In case you require a healthier alternative, you can try making grilled fish or roasted vegetables with quinoa, which is even more nutrient-dense.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!