Welcome to Rice Cookers 101! Today we will be exploring the flavors of Indonesia with a delicious recipe for tofu rice. This dish is a tasty and nutritious way to enjoy the complex flavors of Indonesian cuisine in the comfort of your own home. The soft tofu and fragrant rice are complemented by a savory blend of spices and seasonings to create a dish that is both satisfying and nourishing. So let’s fire up our rice cookers and get started on this flavorful adventure! We’ve made this indonesian tofu rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 block firm tofu, cubed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped (optional)
1. Cook 1 cup of uncooked white rice according to package directions.2. While the rice is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat.3. Add 1 block of cubed firm tofu to the skillet and cook until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.4. Remove the tofu from the skillet and set aside on a plate.5. Lower heat to medium-high and add 1 chopped small onion and 2 minced cloves of garlic to the skillet.6. Cook the onion and garlic until the onion is softened, about 3-5 minutes.7. Add 1 tablespoon of sweet soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper to the skillet and stir to combine.8. Add the cooked rice to the skillet and stir to combine with the sauce and onions.9. Add the cooked tofu back to the skillet and stir to combine.10. Cook the entire mixture for an additional 2-3 minutes or until everything is heated through.11. Serve the Indonesian Tofu Rice hot, topped with optional green onions.
How long does indonesian tofu rice last in the fridge?
Indonesian Tofu Rice is a dish that can be stored in the fridge for up to 3-4 days if stored properly. After cooking the dish and allowing it to cool, transfer it to an airtight container for storage and place it in the refrigerator. When reheating the dish, make sure it reaches a temperature of at least 165°F (74°C) to kill any potential bacteria. If you notice any strange odors or mold growth, discard the dish immediately as it may have spoiled. It’s always best to follow food safety guidelines to prevent any potential foodborne illnesses.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!
Low calorie indonesian tofu rice recipe substitutions
To make this Indonesian Tofu Rice recipe lower in calories, a few substitutions can be made. Firstly, brown rice can be used instead of white rice as it contains more fiber and other nutrients that help in keeping us full for a longer period. Secondly, instead of frying the tofu, it can be grilled, baked, or prepared in an air fryer with little or no oil. Thirdly, the amount of oil used in the recipe can be reduced, and low-sodium soy sauce can be used instead of sweet soy sauce to reduce the overall sodium content in the dish. Lastly, more vegetables like bell peppers, broccoli, and carrots can be added to the recipe to increase the nutrient density of the dish. These small substitutions can go a long way towards making this dish lower in calories without sacrificing taste.
What to serve with a indonesian tofu rice?
Indonesian tofu rice is a delicious and filling dish that can be served with a variety of side dishes. Some great options include a simple side salad with a tangy vinaigrette dressing, steamed or grilled vegetables like broccoli or asparagus, or a fragrant soup with coconut milk and lemongrass. You could also serve the rice with some crispy fried wontons or spring rolls for a wonderful texture contrast. While the tofu and rice provide a hearty base, adding a few side dishes can elevate this dish to a gourmet level and make for a memorable meal.
Whats the best sauce for a indonesian tofu rice?
For Indonesian tofu rice, the best sauce to use would be a peanut sauce or “bumbu kacang” in Indonesian. This sauce is made by blending together roasted peanuts, garlic, shallots, kecap manis (sweet soy sauce), tamarind juice, and chili peppers. The resulting sauce is sweet, spicy, and slightly tangy, which complements the nutty flavors of the tofu and rice. Additionally, the creaminess of the peanut sauce coats the rice and tofu, enhancing the overall texture and taste of the dish.
Indonesian tofu rice health benefits
Indonesian tofu rice has several health benefits. Firstly, tofu is an excellent source of plant-based protein, which can help with muscle building and repair. Additionally, tofu is low in calories and high in nutrients such as calcium, iron, and magnesium. On the other hand, rice provides carbohydrates which can provide energy for the body. Rice also contains fiber which helps in digestion and bowel movements. Therefore, the combination of tofu and rice in an Indonesian tofu rice dish makes for a nutritious and healthy meal.If looking for alternative dishes that are healthy, a vegetable stir fry or a quinoa salad are great options. Vegetable stir fry can contain an assortment of colorful vegetables with healthy spices and seasoning, while quinoa salad can be rich in protein and fiber with added nuts, seeds and vegetables.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!