Hello and welcome to Rice Cookers 101, where we not only provide tips on how to make perfect rice, but also delicious recipes to go with it. Today’s recipe is for Korean Sausage Rice, a flavorful and satisfying dish that’s easy to make in your rice cooker. Perfect for weeknight dinners or meal prepping, this recipe combines rice, veggies, and Korean sausage for a hearty and tasty meal. Let’s get cooking! We’ve made this korean sausage rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 1 pound Korean-style sausage, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Green onions, chopped (optional)
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced Korean-style sausage to the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes until it’s browned. Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside.
- To the same pan, add the diced onion, minced garlic, and diced green and red bell peppers. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon sesame oil to the pan. Stir everything together to combine.
- Add 2 cups of cooked rice to the pan with the sauce and stir so that the rice is coated in the sauce.
- Add the sausage back to the pan with the rice and stir everything together. Cook for another 2-3 minutes to ensure everything is heated through and coated in the sauce.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds and green onions (if desired) before serving.
- Your delicious Korean Sausage Rice is ready to enjoy!
How long does korean sausage rice last in the fridge?
Korean sausage rice, like any other dish, can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days after cooking to maintain its quality. It is essential to store the dish properly to avoid any contamination. After cooking, let the dish cool down to room temperature and store it in an airtight container. If you want to store it for a more extended period, you can freeze it for up to three months. However, when reheating, make sure to keep the temperature high enough to kill any bacteria that might have grown during storage. It is always advisable to reheat the rice to an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) before serving.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!
Low calorie korean sausage rice recipe substitutions
To make this Korean Sausage Rice recipe lower in calories, a few substitutions can be made. First, the Korean-style sausage can be replaced with a chicken or turkey sausage with lower fat content. Second, the amount of rice can be reduced by half or replaced with cauliflower rice or quinoa to decrease the overall calorie count. Third, instead of vegetable oil, a non-stick cooking spray or a small amount of olive oil or avocado oil can be used. Fourth, the brown sugar can be replaced with a natural sweetener such as stevia or monk fruit. Lastly, skipping the sesame seeds and green onions as garnish can also help to reduce calories. By making these substitutions, the recipe can still be flavorful while also being lower in calorie content.
What to serve with a korean sausage rice?
Korean sausage rice is a flavorful and hearty dish that pairs well with a variety of sides. One great option is a fresh side salad with a ginger sesame dressing, which will help balance out the spice of the sausage. Another option is to serve the rice with some steamed or roasted veggies like bok choy or broccoli, which will provide some added texture and nutrition to the meal. You could also consider serving some pickled veggies or kimchi on the side, which will complement the flavors of the sausage and add some tanginess to the dish. Ultimately, the perfect sides for Korean sausage rice will depend on your personal preferences and the ingredients you have on hand.
Whats the best sauce for a korean sausage rice?
Korean sausage rice is typically served with a spicy and savory sauce that complements the flavors of the dish. One popular sauce option is gochujang sauce, which is made from a fermented chili paste, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and garlic. This sauce is sweet, savory, and spicy, making it the perfect accompaniment to the slightly sweet and smoky flavor of the sausage. It adds an extra kick of heat and depth of flavor to the dish, making it a truly satisfying meal. Finally, you can top it off with some sesame seeds and chopped green onions for extra flavor.
Korean sausage rice health benefits
Korean sausage rice, or soondae bokkeum, is a popular Korean dish made with pork blood sausage and rice, stir-fried with vegetables and seasonings. While it is a tasty and filling dish, it may not be the healthiest option due to its high fat and cholesterol content. However, the addition of vegetables like onions, garlic, and bell peppers can increase its nutrient content. If you’re looking for a healthier alternative, you might consider a dish like bibimbap, which is a rice bowl topped with a variety of vegetables, meat, and egg. It can be customized to include lean proteins and lots of veggies, making it a balanced and nutritious meal.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!