Hello fellow foodies! Today we’ll be introducing you to a delicious and nutritious Korean spinach rice recipe that’s perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or a flavorful side dish. Made with freshly cooked rice, sautéed spinach, garlic, and sesame oil, this dish is packed with flavor and is a great way to introduce more greens into your diet. Plus, it’s super easy to make in your rice cooker, making it a hassle-free meal to cook up in the comfort of your own home. Let’s get started! We’ve made this korean spinach rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
- 1 bunch spinach, washed and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the rice in a fine mesh strainer until the water runs clear. Drain and set aside.
- Mince the garlic. In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil and sesame seeds. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spinach and blanch for about 30 seconds. Drain and rinse with cold water. Squeeze out excess water from the spinach and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pot or rice cooker over medium heat. Add the rice and sauté for 1-2 minutes until lightly toasted and fragrant.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of water to the pot and stir in the garlic mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid. Cook for about 18-20 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Once the rice is cooked, stir in the chopped spinach and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve hot and enjoy!
1. Start by rinsing the rice in a fine mesh strainer until the water runs clear. Drain the rice and set it aside.2. While the rice is draining, mince the garlic. In a small bowl, mix together the minced garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sesame seeds. Set aside this mixture.3. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spinach and blanch it for about 30 seconds. Drain and rinse with cold water. Squeeze out excess water from the spinach and chop it into bite-sized pieces.4. Heat the vegetable oil in a pot or rice cooker over medium heat. Add the rice and sauté it for one to two minutes until it is lightly toasted and fragrant.5. Add 1 1/2 cups of water to the pot and stir in the mixture of garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sesame seeds. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring this mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid. Cook for about 18-20 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.6. Once the rice is cooked, stir in the chopped spinach and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve the dish hot and enjoy!
How long does korean spinach rice last in the fridge?
Korean spinach rice can be stored in the fridge for up to four days after cooking. It is essential to place it in an airtight container and cool it to room temperature before storing it in the fridge. It is also important to reheat it properly before consuming it. This can be done by adding a small amount of water to the rice and microwaving or heating it on the stovetop until it is heated through. It is not recommended to freeze Korean spinach rice as the texture may change, and it may become mushy when reheated. To ensure food safety, always check for signs of spoilage before consuming any stored food.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!
Low calorie korean spinach rice recipe substitutions
To make this Korean spinach rice recipe lower in calories, several substitutions can be made. First, swap the short-grain rice with brown rice or cauliflower rice for a lower calorie and lower carb option. Second, reduce the amount of vegetable oil or use a cooking spray to decrease the fat content. Third, reduce the amount of sesame oil and sesame seeds added in the recipe, as they are high in calories. Fourthly, reduce or skip the use of salt in the recipe. Finally, increase the amount of spinach to add more bulk and nutrition to the meal. All these substitutions will make the recipe lower in calories and healthier without compromising on the taste.
What to serve with a korean spinach rice?
Korean spinach rice is a flavorful and healthy dish that can be paired with a variety of other Korean and Asian dishes. Some popular options include grilled or marinated meats such as beef bulgogi or soy sauce chicken, stir-fried vegetables like bok choy or bean sprouts, and kimchi or pickled vegetables for an extra kick of tanginess. You could also serve it with a simple side salad or some steamed edamame for a light and refreshing meal. For a complete Korean-inspired feast, consider serving a few different small plates like mandu (dumplings), tteokbokki (spicy rice cakes), or japchae (stir-fried sweet potato noodles) alongside the spinach rice.
Whats the best sauce for a korean spinach rice?
One of the best sauces for Korean spinach rice is a traditional Korean seasoning called Gochujang. This sauce is made from red chili peppers, fermented soybeans, glutinous rice, and salt. It has a sweet, spicy, and slightly tangy flavor that pairs well with the nuttiness of the spinach rice. To make the sauce, mix Gochujang with a little bit of soy sauce, sesame oil, and garlic powder. Add a splash of water to thin it out and whisk together until well combined. Drizzle this sauce over the spinach rice for a burst of flavor that will elevate the dish to the next level.
Korean spinach rice health benefits
Korean spinach rice is a healthy and nutritious dish. It provides a wealth of health benefits due to the inclusion of spinach, which is an excellent source of vitamins A, C, and K, as well as iron and calcium. Spinach is also a rich source of antioxidants and can help support the immune system and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Additionally, the brown rice used in this recipe provides fiber and complex carbohydrates, which can help regulate blood sugar levels and improve digestive health. Overall, Korean spinach rice is a delicious and healthy dish that can support overall health and well-being.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!