Hello Rice Cookers 101 community, I’m excited to share with you a flavorful and satisfying recipe of Malaysian Flounder Rice. This dish is a combination of fresh seafood, fragrant rice, and rich herbs and spices that create an explosion of flavors in your mouth. It’s a perfect dish for a quick and easy dinner or to impress your guests at a dinner party. With the help of your trusty rice cooker, you can easily prepare this dish in no time. Let’s get started! We’ve made this malaysian flounder rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
- 2 flounder fillets
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Rinse 1 cup of basmati rice in cold water until the water runs clear and then drain it.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add 1/2 finely chopped onion and 2 minced garlic cloves to the saucepan and sauté until softened.
- Add 1 tablespoon of curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon of ground turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander, 1/2 teaspoon of paprika, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper to the saucepan and stir well to combine.
- Add the rinsed rice to the saucepan and stir until it is well coated with the spice mixture.
- Add 1 cup of water and 1 can (14 oz) of coconut milk to the saucepan and stir the contents together.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover the saucepan, and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add 2 flounder fillets to the saucepan, and spoon some of the liquid over them. Cover the saucepan and continue to simmer for an additional 10–15 minutes or until the fish is cooked through and the rice is tender.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork, and sprinkle 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro over it before serving.
How long does malaysian flounder rice last in the fridge?
Malaysian flounder rice should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator within 2 hours of cooking. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days. If you plan to keep the rice for a longer period, it can be frozen for up to 6 months. However, when reheating, be sure to do it properly to avoid any foodborne illnesses. It is recommended to reheat the rice thoroughly to an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) in order to kill any bacteria that may have grown. Always check the appearance, texture, and smell before consuming any leftover rice.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!
Low calorie malaysian flounder rice recipe substitutions
To make the Malaysian Flounder Rice recipe lower in calories, a few substitutions can be made. Firstly, instead of using basmati rice, brown rice can be used as it contains fewer calories and more fiber. Secondly, instead of using canola oil, a non-stick cooking spray can be used to coat the pan, to reduce the amount of added fat. Thirdly, light coconut milk can be used instead of regular coconut milk, to decrease the calorie content and fat content of the dish. Finally, the amount of fish can be reduced or substituted with a leaner protein like shrimp or tofu. Reducing the amount of salt added to the dish can also help to decrease the calorie content. By making these substitutions, the dish can be made lower in calories without sacrificing the flavor.
What to serve with a malaysian flounder rice?
Malaysian flounder rice is a flavorful and satisfying dish that can make a complete meal on its own. However, if you want to serve something alongside it, here are a few suggestions. A fresh salad of cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and lettuce would provide a cool contrast to the warm and spicy rice. Alternatively, you could roast some vegetables like carrots and bell peppers in the oven with a sprinkling of salt and pepper. For a more substantial side dish, you could stir-fry some greens like bok choy or kale with garlic and sesame oil. Serve the flounder rice hot with your chosen side and enjoy!
Whats the best sauce for a malaysian flounder rice?
The best sauce to pair with Malaysian flounder rice would be a spicy and tangy sambal sauce. Sambal is a popular Malaysian condiment made with a combination of chili peppers, garlic, shallots, tamarind paste, and vinegar. Its tart and spicy flavor is the perfect complement to the mild and delicate flavor of the flounder. To make the sambal sauce, you can blend all the ingredients in a food processor or mortar and pestle until they form a smooth paste. Simply serve a dollop of the sauce on top of the flounder rice and enjoy!
Malaysian flounder rice health benefits
Malaysian flounder rice is a delicious dish that is prepared with rice, flounder fish, spices and herbs. Flounder fish is a healthy source of protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and essential vitamins and minerals that can support heart health, brain function, and overall well-being. Additionally, the spices and herbs used in this dish – such as ginger, turmeric, garlic, and cilantro – have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases like cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. Overall, Malaysian flounder rice is a nutritious and flavorful meal that can be enjoyed as part of a healthy and balanced diet.If you are looking for an alternative recipe that is even healthier, you may want to consider preparing a grilled salmon or quinoa salad with fresh greens and vegetables. These dishes are also rich in protein, healthy fats and essential nutrients that can support optimal health and wellness.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!