Hello and welcome to Rice Cookers 101! Today, we are going to take your taste buds on a journey to Malaysia with this delicious recipe for Malaysian Sausage Rice. This fragrant dish requires minimal prep work and is quick and easy to make in your rice cooker. The combination of spicy sausage, tender rice, and flavorful spices is sure to make this dish a new favorite in your household. Let’s get started! We’ve made this malaysian sausage rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 2 cups of jasmine rice
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 Malaysian sausages, sliced (can substitute with Chinese sausages)
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon of dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 3 scallions, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the rice in water and drain well.
- Place the rice in a pot with the water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- When it starts boiling, reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with a lid. Let the rice simmer for about 20 minutes or until it’s fully cooked.
- While the rice cooks, place a wok or large skillet over high heat and add the vegetable oil to it. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the pan and sauté them until they turn soft and fragrant.
- Add the sliced Malaysian sausages to the wok or skillet and stir fry them for 1-2 minutes.
- Add all of the sauces (soy sauce, oyster sauce, and dark soy sauce) and sugar to the skillet. Mix everything well until the sausage is fully coated with the sauces and they are heated through.
- Turn off the heat and add the cooked rice to the wok or skillet. Use a spatula or spoon to mix the rice with the sausage and sauce mixture until it’s fully coated.
- Taste the rice and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Add the sliced scallions to the pan and stir everything lightly.
- Place the rice and sausage mixture in a serving dish and serve hot.
How long does malaysian sausage rice last in the fridge?
If properly stored, Malaysian sausage rice can be kept in the fridge for up to 4-5 days after cooking. It is important to store the rice in an airtight container after it has cooled down to room temperature. Make sure to also refrigerate it as soon as possible and not let it sit out at room temperature for more than 2 hours. When reheating, be sure to heat it thoroughly, ideally to an internal temperature of 165°F to ensure that any harmful bacteria has been destroyed. If you are unsure if the rice is still safe to eat, it is always better to err on the side of caution and discard it.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!
Low calorie malaysian sausage rice recipe substitutions
To make this Malaysian sausage rice recipe lower in calories, there are a few substitutions that can be made. Firstly, using brown rice instead of jasmine rice would provide more fiber and nutrients while reducing the calorie content. Secondly, using turkey or chicken sausage instead of Malaysian or Chinese sausage would help reduce the fat content. Lastly, reducing the amount of oil used in the recipe would also help lower the calorie count. Instead of sautéing the onion and garlic in oil, using vegetable broth or cooking spray would be a healthier alternative. By making these substitutions, the overall calorie content of the dish would be significantly reduced while still providing a delicious and satisfying meal.
What to serve with a malaysian sausage rice?
Malaysian sausage rice can be complemented with a variety of sides to enhance its flavors. One option is to serve it with stir-fried vegetables, such as broccoli, bell peppers, and bok choy, seasoned with soy sauce and garlic. Another great choice is a cooling cucumber and tomato salad with a tangy lime and chili dressing. For a heartier option, try serving it with crispy fried eggs and spicy sambal sauce. Whichever side dishes you choose, they should balance the rich and savory flavors of the Malaysian sausage rice for a satisfying meal.
Whats the best sauce for a malaysian sausage rice?
The best sauce for Malaysian sausage rice is sambal sauce. Sambal is a hot and spicy sauce typically made from chili peppers, garlic, shallots, and shrimp paste. It is widely used in Malaysian cuisine to add flavor and heat to various dishes. By adding a dollop of sambal sauce to your sausage rice, you can enhance its taste and spice up the meal. However, if you are not a fan of spicy food, you can use sweet chili sauce or soy sauce as a milder alternative.
Malaysian sausage rice health benefits
Unfortunately, Malaysian sausage rice is not a particularly healthy dish overall. The sausage used in the dish is often processed and high in sodium, while the rice is typically cooked in oil and mixed with additional fatty ingredients like coconut milk. However, there are certainly ways to modify the recipe to make it more nutritious! For example, using turkey or chicken sausage instead of pork can reduce the fat content, and substituting brown rice for white rice can make the dish a bit more fiber-rich. You could also add plenty of vegetables like spinach, bell peppers, and carrots to bulk up the nutritional content and provide additional vitamins and minerals. Overall, while the typical Malaysian sausage rice may not be the healthiest option, with a few simple modifications it is possible to enjoy it as a flavorful and nutritious meal!
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!