Welcome to Rice Cookers 101! I am excited to share with you my recipe for Nigerian Asparagus Rice. This dish combines the nutty flavor of basmati rice with a mixture of delicious seasonings and tender asparagus spears. It’s a great way to introduce a new vegetable to your family or impress your guests with a unique and flavorful side dish. So grab your rice cooker and let’s get cooking! We’ve made this nigerian asparagus rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 2 cups of long-grain rice
- 1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Rinse 2 cups of long grain rice in cold water and set aside to drain.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 chopped onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add 2 minced cloves of garlic and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add 1 diced red bell pepper and 1 bunch of trimmed and chopped asparagus. Sauté for 5 minutes until tender-crisp.
- Add the rice to the saucepan and stir, cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, and 1 teaspoon of curry powder. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the saucepan and allow the rice to simmer for 20-25 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve garnished with 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro.
How long does nigerian asparagus rice last in the fridge?
Nigerian Asparagus Rice is a delicious and nutritious dish that can be stored in the fridge for up to four days after cooking. It is important to let the rice cool down to room temperature before storing it in an airtight container in the fridge. To reheat, simply microwave the rice for a few minutes or heat it up in a pan. However, it is recommended to consume the dish within 2-3 days for best quality and taste. Any longer than that, the rice may begin to lose its texture and flavor. Always make sure to keep leftovers in a clean and sealed container to prevent contamination and foodborne illnesses.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!
Low calorie nigerian asparagus rice recipe substitutions
To make this recipe lower calorie, some substitutions could be made. Firstly, instead of using long-grain rice, one could use cauliflower rice. This will not only lower calorie count but increase fiber and nutrient intake. Secondly, instead of using vegetable oil, one could use a cooking spray or a tablespoon of olive oil. This will also reduce fat and calorie intake. Additionally, instead of using chicken or vegetable broth, one could use low-sodium broth or water to reduce the overall sodium level. And finally, salt intake can be reduced or substituted with herbs and spices to lower the sodium levels even further. By making these substitutions, the dish will be more nutritious and lower in calories.
What to serve with a nigerian asparagus rice?
Nigerian asparagus rice is a delicious and flavorful dish that can be served with a variety of sides. To complement the dish, I recommend serving it with a side of grilled or sautéed vegetables such as bell peppers, zucchini, and carrots. You can also add a protein such as grilled chicken or shrimp to make it a complete and satisfying meal. A refreshing salad or a side of naan bread can also be excellent accompaniments to the dish. Overall, the key is to serve light and fresh sides that will not overpower the flavorful rice.
Whats the best sauce for a nigerian asparagus rice?
One of the best sauces for Nigerian asparagus rice is a creamy coconut curry sauce. To make this sauce, you will need coconut milk, curry powder, garlic, ginger, and onion. First, sauté the onion, garlic, and ginger in a saucepan until fragrant. Then, add the curry powder and stir for a minute to release the flavors. Finally, pour in the coconut milk and let the sauce simmer until it thickens and reduces slightly. Serve the sauce over the asparagus rice, and garnish with some fresh chopped cilantro for added flavor and color. The creaminess of the coconut curry will complement the nuttiness of the rice and the fresh crunch of the asparagus for a delicious and satisfying dish.
Nigerian asparagus rice health benefits
Asparagus contains low calories and high nutrients that can boost immunity and prevent chronic diseases. When combined with rice, it can provide a healthy mix of carbohydrates, proteins, and minerals necessary for the body. Nigerian asparagus rice can also serve as a good alternative to high-carb white rice, as it is lower in calories and provides more fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Other healthy recipes might include grilled chicken salad or salmon quinoa bowl.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!