Welcome to Rice Cookers 101! Today, I’m excited to share with you a delicious and flavorful recipe for Nigerian Bell Pepper Rice. This dish is a perfect way to add some bold and spicy flavor to your rice, making it a great side dish for any meal. With the help of your trusty rice cooker, this recipe is easy to prepare and packed with aromatic ingredients like bell peppers, onions, and spices. So, grab your rice cooker and let’s get started! We’ve made this nigerian bell pepper rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 2 cups of long-grain white rice
- 2 bell peppers (red and green), diced
- 1 medium-sized onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 4 cups of water or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- Wash two cups of long-grain white rice with cold water and allow it to drain.
- Add two tablespoons of vegetable oil to a pot and heat it over medium heat.
- Add one medium-sized diced onion and three cloves of minced garlic to the pot and sauté for two minutes until they are fragrant.
- Add the diced red and green bell peppers to the pot and sauté for another two minutes.
- Stir in two tablespoons of tomato paste, one teaspoon of curry powder, one teaspoon of smoked paprika, and one teaspoon of salt. Combine everything well.
- Mix the washed rice into the pot and stir well to combine everything.
- Pour in four cups of water or chicken broth and bring everything to a boil.
- Lower the heat to low, cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid, and cook for 18-20 minutes, or until the rice is tender, and all the liquid is absorbed.
- Use a fork to fluff up the rice and serve hot with your preferred protein.
How long does nigerian bell pepper rice last in the fridge?
Nigerian bell pepper rice can be stored in the fridge for up to four days after cooking. However, it’s important to properly store it in an airtight container to prevent it from drying out or picking up unpleasant odors from other foods in the fridge. It should also be reheated properly by either microwaving or heating it on the stovetop until it reaches an internal temperature of at least 165°F to ensure it’s safe to eat. Additionally, if the rice has been left at room temperature for more than two hours, it should be discarded to avoid the risk of foodborne illness.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!
Low calorie nigerian bell pepper rice recipe substitutions
To make this Nigerian Bell Pepper Rice recipe lower in calories, one possible substitution would be to replace the white rice with cauliflower rice. Cauliflower rice has significantly fewer calories than white rice and also provides additional fiber. Additionally, using less oil or replacing the vegetable oil with a lower calorie alternative such as olive oil or cooking spray can also reduce the overall calorie content of the dish. Finally, reducing the amount of tomato paste used or replacing it with a lower calorie tomato sauce can further lower the calorie count. By making these changes, the recipe can be transformed into a healthier and lower calorie version while still maintaining its delicious flavor.
What to serve with a nigerian bell pepper rice?
Nigerian bell pepper rice is a flavorful and hearty dish that pairs well with a variety of accompaniments. One excellent option is a side of plantains, which can be sliced and fried until golden brown for a crispy, sweet counterpoint to the savory rice. Adding some grilled or sautéed vegetables, such as zucchini, bell peppers, or onions, can also provide balance and texture. For protein, try serving the rice alongside grilled chicken or fish, or a vegetarian option like tofu or chickpeas. Finally, a fresh salad or cucumber raita can bring a refreshing contrast to the rich flavors of the rice.
Whats the best sauce for a nigerian bell pepper rice?
One of the best sauces to accompany Nigerian bell pepper rice is tomato stew. To make tomato stew, heat up some oil in a pot and sauté chopped onions and minced garlic until fragrant. Add chopped fresh tomatoes, tomato paste, and spices such as thyme, curry powder, and bouillon cubes. Let the mixture cook down for a few minutes until the tomatoes have broken down and the stew has thickened. Finally, stir in some chopped bell peppers and allow the stew to simmer for a few more minutes. This delicious and flavorful sauce complements the unique taste of the bell pepper rice perfectly.
Nigerian bell pepper rice health benefits
Nigerian Bell Pepper Rice is a delicious and healthy meal that has numerous health benefits. It contains a variety of vegetables, such as bell peppers, onion, and tomatoes which are rich in vitamins and minerals that support a healthy immune system. Additionally, the addition of brown rice, which is high in fiber, helps promote good digestion and prevent constipation. Bell Pepper Rice also contains lean protein, such as chicken or shrimp which provides the body with essential amino acids that are needed for muscle repair and growth. However, if one is looking for an even healthier meal that is lower in calories yet still high in nutrients, a good alternative would be a quinoa vegetable stir-fry which is packed full of vegetables, quinoa, and healthy fats such as coconut oil.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!