Welcome to Rice Cookers 101! Today, we will be exploring the delicious and flavorful Nigerian Herring Rice recipe. This dish is a perfect combination of rice, smoked fish, and Nigerian spices. It is easy to prepare in a rice cooker and makes for a filling and satisfying meal. So, put on your aprons, grab your rice cooker, and let’s get cooking! We’ve made this nigerian herring rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 onion, diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 smoked herring, deboned and flaked
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups water
- Rinse two cups Jasmine rice in a fine mesh strainer and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add one diced onion, 3-4 minced garlic cloves and one diced bell pepper. Cook until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add 1 teaspoon of curry powder, 1 teaspoon of thyme, salt to taste and pepper to the vegetable mixture. Stir to combine the ingredients.
- Add the 2 cups rinsed Jasmine rice and stir to coat the rice with the vegetable mixture.
- Add 3 cups of water to the rice and vegetables, stir the ingredients to combine them well.
- Bring the rice to a boil then reduce the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid.
- Let the rice simmer for 20 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed.
- Remove the pan from heat and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Add one deboned and flaked smoked herring and 2 thinly sliced scallions to the rice. Gently mix the ingredients.
- Let the rice rest for 5 minutes before serving.
How long does nigerian herring rice last in the fridge?
Nigerian herring rice can be stored in the fridge for up to 3-4 days after cooking. However, it is important to allow the rice to cool down to room temperature before transferring it into an airtight container and placing it in the fridge. It is also important to ensure that the rice is fully cooked before storing it and that it is not left at room temperature for too long. When reheating the rice, it is recommended to use a microwave or stovetop and make sure it is heated through to at least 165°F as a safety precaution to avoid any risks of foodborne illness.
Low calorie nigerian herring rice recipe substitutions
To make this Nigerian herring rice recipe lower in calories, there are several substitutions you can make. First, you can use brown rice instead of jasmine rice, as it is higher in fiber and lower in calories. Second, you can use cooking spray instead of vegetable oil to cut down on the amount of fat used. Third, you can use a lower-sodium vegetable broth instead of water to add flavor without adding salt. Fourth, you can reduce the amount of herring or use salmon instead, as herring is high in fat. Finally, you can increase the amount of vegetables and reduce the amount of rice to make the dish more filling while reducing the overall calorie count.
What to serve with a nigerian herring rice?
Nigerian herring rice is a flavorful and delicious dish on its own, but to make it more complete, you can serve it with some side dishes that complement its taste. A refreshing side that goes well with this dish is a simple tomato and onion salad, which provides a contrasting freshness and acidity that complements the richness of the rice. You can also serve it with some plantains, which add a sweet and starchy balance to the dish, and a side of fried or grilled fish to enhance the seafood flavor of the herring rice. Another option is to serve it with some steamed vegetables like broccoli or carrots to add some vibrant colors and textures to the meal.
Whats the best sauce for a nigerian herring rice?
Nigerian herring rice is a flavorful and popular dish that can be complemented with a variety of sauces. One of the best sauces to pair with this dish is a spicy tomato sauce. This sauce is made by sautéing onions, garlic, and ginger in oil, then adding diced tomatoes, red pepper flakes, salt, and smoked paprika. Let the sauce simmer until it thickens and the flavors meld together. Serve this zesty sauce over the herring rice to enhance the flavor and bring an added level of heat to the meal.
Nigerian herring rice health benefits
Nigerian herring rice is a flavorful and nutritious dish that has several health benefits. The dish is high in protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and minerals such as phosphorus, iron, and calcium. These nutrients are essential for maintaining healthy bones, muscles, and cardiovascular health. Additionally, the antioxidants found in the dish may help boost the immune system and reduce inflammation in the body, which can help prevent chronic diseases like cancer and diabetes. However, if you are looking for a recipe that is even healthier, you might consider a vegetable stir fry with brown rice, which is high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals and can help support healthy digestion and weight management.