Welcome to Rice Cookers 101! Today we’re excited to share with you a delicious recipe for Nigerian prawns rice. This recipe is a perfect blend of flavors from West Africa that come together to create an incredibly savory dish. It’s simple and easy to make, and it’s sure to impress your family and friends. So, let’s get started on cooking this delicious meal! We’ve made this nigerian prawns rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 2 cups of rice
- 500g prawns (deveined and cleaned)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 red onion (diced)
- 2 red bell peppers (chopped)
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- 1 teaspoon of allspice
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot and fry the prawns until they turn pink. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add the garlic and onion to the same pot and sauté until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the chopped bell peppers and cook until softened.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for an additional 2 minutes while stirring.
- Add the rice, curry powder, thyme, and allspice to the pot and stir until the rice is coated with the tomato paste mixture.
- Pour in the chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Stir well.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
- Add the cooked prawns to the pot and stir gently.
- Remove from the heat and let it sit covered for 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve hot.
How long does nigerian prawns rice last in the fridge?
Nigerian prawns rice can be stored in the fridge after cooking for up to 3 to 4 days. It is important that the rice is stored in an airtight container and put in the fridge as soon as it cools down to room temperature. When reheating, it is recommended to use a microwave or stovetop to avoid overcooking the rice and make it dry. It is also important to note that reheated rice should only be consumed once. Any leftovers should be discarded.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!
Low calorie nigerian prawns rice recipe substitutions
To make this Nigerian Prawn Rice recipe lower in calories, there are a few ingredient substitutions you can make. First, you could use brown rice instead of white rice, which is higher in fiber and nutrients and has fewer calories per serving. Secondly, you could reduce the amount of prawns to about 350-400g to lower the overall calorie count. Instead of using vegetable oil, you could use a cooking spray or a smaller amount of a healthier oil like olive oil. Finally, instead of using chicken broth, you could use vegetable broth or water to reduce the overall calories in the recipe. With these changes, you can still enjoy the same great taste of Nigerian Prawn Rice but with fewer calories per serving.
What to serve with a nigerian prawns rice?
Nigerian prawns rice is a delicious dish that can be served with a variety of sides to complement its bold and spicy flavors. Some great options include a fresh salad with leafy greens, sliced tomatoes, and a tangy vinaigrette dressing to balance the heat of the dish. Roasted vegetables, such as carrots, zucchini, and bell peppers, can also be used to add a touch of sweetness and texture to the dish. For an authentic Nigerian experience, serve the prawns rice with fried plantains on the side. Additionally, a cooling yogurt-based dip or sauce, such as tzatziki or raita, can help to balance the spices and bring a refreshing element to the meal.
Whats the best sauce for a nigerian prawns rice?
One of the best sauces to serve with Nigerian prawn rice is a spicy tomato-based sauce. To make this sauce, sauté onions and garlic until fragrant and then add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, chili peppers, and a blend of Nigerian spices such as curry powder, thyme, and ginger. Allow the sauce to simmer for a few minutes, stirring occasionally until it thickens. Finally, stir in some coconut milk for added richness and creaminess. This flavorful sauce complements the sweetness of the prawns and adds a delicious kick to the rice dish.
Nigerian prawns rice health benefits
Nigerian prawns rice is a delicious and nutritious meal with several health benefits. Prawns are an excellent source of protein, vitamin D, zinc, and iron, which are important for muscle growth and tissue repair. Rice is rich in carbohydrates, providing energy for the body. Additionally, the vegetables like carrot, green beans, and bell peppers used in the recipe contribute vitamins and fiber to the dish, while the use of spices like garlic, ginger, and onions have anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. Overall, this meal offers a balanced combination of macronutrients, micronutrients, and phytochemicals, making it a healthy choice for many people.However, if someone has an allergy to prawns or does not consume seafood, I would recommend switching to a vegetable stir-fry with tofu or paneer as an alternative. This will provide a similar balance of nutrients and flavors while catering to specific dietary requirements.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!