Greetings, foodies! Get ready to take your taste buds on a flavorful journey with this sumptuous Persian chicken rice recipe. Combining aromatic basmati rice with succulent chicken pieces, and a medley of spices, this dish is an effortless way to experience a harmonious blend of traditional Persian flavors. Whether you’re a seasoned cook or a novice in the kitchen, this recipe is simple to follow and will undoubtedly impress your family and friends. So, let’s grab our rice cookers and get started! We’ve made this persian chicken rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
Sure, here’s the ingredient list as an HTML unordered list:
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast
- 1 onion
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Rinse the basmati rice several times until the water runs clear.
- Soak the rice in water for at least 1 hour before cooking.
- Slice one onion and sauté it in oil until golden.
- Cut the boneless chicken breast into small pieces and add to the onions.
- Sauté the chicken until it browns.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, 1/4 teaspoon of cardamom, 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the chicken mixture.
- Mix well and set aside.
- Bring 3 cups of chicken broth to a boil.
- Drain the rice and add it to the boiling broth.
- Cook the rice for 6 minutes.
- Drain the rice and rinse with warm water.
- In a separate pot, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and 2 tablespoons of butter together.
- Add a layer of rice followed by a layer of chicken mixture. Repeat until all the rice and chicken mixture are used up.
- Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 30-35 minutes over medium-low heat.
- In a small pan, sauté 1/4 cup of slivered almonds and 1/4 cup of raisins in a bit of butter until lightly browned.
- Serve the chicken and rice topped with the almond and raisin mixture.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!
How long does persian chicken rice last in the fridge?
Persian chicken rice is a dish that combines basmati rice with tender chicken and flavoured with saffron and other fragrant herbs. Like most cooked foods, this dish can be stored in the fridge for up to four days when stored in an airtight container. It’s essential to let the dish cool down before refrigerating it to avoid the growth of bacteria that can lead to food poisoning. When reheating the dish, make sure it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) to kill any bacteria that may have grown. It is advisable to consume the dish within four days to enjoy its fullest flavors and freshness. For longer storage, it’s best to freeze the dish, where it will last for up to four months.
Low calorie persian chicken rice recipe substitutions
To make this recipe lower in calories, there are a few substitutions that can be made. First, instead of using boneless chicken breast, you could use lean boneless chicken thighs, which are lower in calories. Second, you could reduce the amount of oil and butter used in the recipe, or use a cooking spray instead. Third, instead of using white basmati rice, which is high in calories, you could use a brown basmati rice or a quinoa instead. Fourth, you could reduce or eliminate the amount of nuts and raisins used for garnish. Lastly, you could use low-sodium chicken broth and reduce the amount of salt used in the recipe. By making these substitutions, you can significantly reduce the calorie count of this recipe while still enjoying a delicious and nutritious meal.
What to serve with a persian chicken rice?
Persian chicken rice is a classic dish that is flavorful and filling. To enhance the meal, you can serve it with a variety of sides. A crisp and refreshing salad of mixed greens, cucumbers, and tomatoes dressed with a simple vinaigrette would complement the rich flavors of the chicken rice. You can also add some pita bread or naan to the table for a more filling option. Roasted or grilled vegetables, such as zucchini or eggplant, can also be served as a side to add some freshness to the meal. A side of yogurt or cucumber dip can provide a creamy and cool contrast to the warm and savory flavors of the chicken rice.
Whats the best sauce for a persian chicken rice?
The best sauce for Persian chicken rice, also known as “Joojeh Polo”, is called “Mast o Khiar”. This refreshing and tangy sauce is made with yogurt, diced cucumbers, dried mint, and salt. It perfectly complements the flavors of the tender chicken and aromatic rice dish. The creaminess of the yogurt balances out the spices used in the dish, while the cucumbers provide a refreshing crunch. It is easy to make and can be served on the side or drizzled over the rice for an extra burst of flavor.
Persian chicken rice health benefits
Persian chicken rice, also known as “Zereshk Polo Ba Morgh”, can have various health benefits depending on its ingredients and cooking methods. For example, chicken is a good source of protein and can help build and repair muscle tissue. Brown rice and barberries used in the recipe are rich in fiber, which can aid in digestion and promote heart health. However, the dish may also contain added sugar, fats, and sodium, which can be harmful when consumed excessively. To make the dish healthier, you can replace white rice with brown rice and use leaner cuts of chicken or tofu. Additionally, incorporating more vegetables and herbs can provide added nutrients and fiber to the dish.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!