Greetings and welcome to Rice Cookers 101! Today we are excited to share with you a delicious recipe for Persian Mushroom Rice. This flavorful and aromatic dish is a perfect blend of fluffy rice cooked with earthy mushrooms and fragrant herbs and spices. With the help of your trusty rice cooker, you can easily prepare this Persian specialty in no time, and impress your family and friends with your culinary skills. Follow along with our step-by-step recipe instructions below and enjoy the wonderful flavors of Persian cuisine right at home. We’ve made this persian mushroom rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 2 cups basmati rice, washed and soaked in cold water for 1 hour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Saffron, dissolved in 2 tablespoons hot water
- Drain the soaked rice and set aside.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add the sliced onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the ground cumin, coriander, cardamom, and cinnamon, and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the rice to the pot and stir to coat with the onion and mushroom mixture.
- Add the chicken or vegetable broth, salt, and pepper to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Drizzle the saffron water over the rice and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Cover the pot again and let the rice steam for 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer the rice to a serving platter and serve hot.
How long does persian mushroom rice last in the fridge?
Persian mushroom rice can be safely stored in the fridge for up to 4 days after cooking. The rice should be allowed to cool down to room temperature before being transferred to an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap. It is important to properly store the rice in the fridge as it can spoil if left at room temperature for too long. To reheat the rice, it can be microwaved with a splash of water or reheated on the stovetop by adding a little oil and heating over medium heat until hot. It is important to properly reheat the rice to an internal temperature of 165°F to ensure it is safe to eat.
Low calorie persian mushroom rice recipe substitutions
To make this Persian Mushroom Rice recipe lower in calories, a few substitutions can be made. Instead of using two cups of basmati rice, substitute with one cup of brown rice or cauliflower rice to decrease the calorie count. You can also reduce the amount of butter used or substitute for a plant-based butter substitute to further lower the calories. Instead of sautéing the onion and mushrooms with butter and olive oil, use a non-stick cooking spray or a tablespoon of vegetable broth to reduce the calories. Finally, instead of using regular chicken or vegetable broth, substitute a low-sodium broth to decrease the sodium content and calorie count. These substitutions will reduce the calorie content of the dish, making it a healthier option.
What to serve with a persian mushroom rice?
Persian Mushroom Rice goes well with a variety of dishes, including grilled meats or fish, roasted vegetables and salads. You can also serve it as a side dish with a stew or curry. To complement the flavors of the dish, a salad of crisp greens, sliced cucumbers and tomatoes with a citrus vinaigrette dressing would be a great choice. A side of yogurt with fresh mint and garlic would also be a refreshing addition to balance the rich and earthy flavors of the rice.
Whats the best sauce for a persian mushroom rice?
The best sauce for Persian mushroom rice is a tangy & herby yogurt sauce. Combine plain yogurt with finely chopped herbs like mint, dill, and parsley. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a pinch of salt to taste. The yogurt sauce will complement the earthy and savory flavors of the mushroom rice, while providing a cool and refreshing balance. Enjoy drizzling the sauce over the rice or using it as a dip for the mushrooms.
Persian mushroom rice health benefits
Persian mushroom rice is a delicious and flavorful dish that combines tender mushrooms with fragrant rice and spices. While it is a satisfying and nutritious meal, the specific health benefits may not be extensive. However, the ingredients used in the recipe, such as mushrooms and spices like cumin and turmeric, have been associated with potential health benefits. Mushrooms are low in calories and high in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals like vitamin D and potassium. Cumin and turmeric have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, making them potentially beneficial for overall health. If you are looking for a recipe with specifically targeted health benefits, you may want to explore dishes that incorporate more nutrient-dense ingredients like fresh vegetables, legumes, and lean proteins.