Welcome to Rice Cookers 101! Today we will be sharing with you a flavorful and easy-to-make Peruvian chicken rice recipe that will surely satisfy your cravings for a delicious and wholesome meal. This recipe is a perfect blend of aromatic spices, juicy chicken, and fluffy rice that is cooked to perfection in your trusty rice cooker. So let’s put on our aprons and get started on making this mouthwatering Peruvian chicken rice dish! We’ve made this peruvian chicken rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Preheat a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breast that has been cut into bite-sized pieces. Cook until browned for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside.
- Add 1 chopped onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, and 1 chopped red bell pepper to the same skillet. Cook until onions are translucent which should take about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1 teaspoon of paprika, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper to the skillet. Cook for 2 minutes, or until the spices are fragrant.
- Stir in 1 cup of long-grain white rice, 2 cups of chicken broth, and 1/4 cup of green peas. Bring to a boil.
- Once it’s boiling, reduce the heat to low and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the cooked chicken back to the skillet and stir until well combined with the rice mixture.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped cilantro. Serve with lime wedges on the side.
How long does peruvian chicken rice last in the fridge?
Peruvian chicken rice can generally be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days after cooking. To ensure maximum freshness and safety, it is recommended that you store it in an airtight container or wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. It is important to let the chicken rice cool completely before storing it in the fridge, as putting hot food directly in the fridge can promote the growth of bacteria. When you are ready to reheat the chicken rice, make sure it reaches an internal temperature of at least 165°F to ensure it is safe to eat. If you find that you are not able to consume the chicken rice within 4 days, it is best to freeze it for longer storage.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!
Low calorie peruvian chicken rice recipe substitutions
To make Peruvian Chicken Rice lower in calories, some substitutions can be made. Firstly, boneless, skinless chicken breast has fewer calories compared to chicken thighs, so it can be used instead. Secondly, instead of using white rice, you can use cauliflower rice or brown rice as it has fewer calories and more fiber, which keeps you full for longer. Thirdly, reducing the amount of olive oil significantly can also reduce the total calories in the recipe. Lastly, using low-sodium chicken broth and skip the addition of salt to the recipe can also make it light on calories. By making these tweaks, you can reduce the total calorie content of the dish without sacrificing flavor.
What to serve with a peruvian chicken rice?
Peruvian chicken rice is a flavorful and filling dish that’s perfect for lunch or dinner. To balance the richness of the chicken and rice, serve it with some fresh greens and a light dressing. A simple side salad with mixed greens, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, and avocado tossed with a squeeze of lime and a drizzle of olive oil would be a great complement to the dish. You can also add a side of steamed or roasted vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots, or green beans, to add some extra nutrition and texture to the meal. Whatever you serve with the Peruvian chicken rice, be sure to enjoy it with family and friends!
Whats the best sauce for a peruvian chicken rice?
The best sauce for Peruvian chicken rice is aji verde, a green sauce made from a mixture of fresh cilantro, jalapenos, garlic, cheese, and lime juice. This sauce perfectly complements the spiciness of the Peruvian chicken and adds a fresh herby flavor to the rice. Aji verde can be easily made at home by blending all the ingredients together or can also be found in stores specializing in Latin American cuisine. Drizzle some on top of your plate of Peruvian chicken rice to take the dish’s flavor to the next level.
Peruvian chicken rice health benefits
Peruvian chicken rice is a delicious and nutritious dish that provides several health benefits. Chicken is a great source of protein, which is essential for muscle growth and repair. Rice is a complex carbohydrate that provides sustained energy throughout the day and also helps with digestion. The addition of vegetables such as carrots, peas, and bell peppers provides essential vitamins and minerals, while the use of herbs and spices adds flavor and also has anti-inflammatory properties. Overall, Peruvian chicken rice can be a healthy and balanced meal option when appropriately portioned. However, for those looking for a healthier alternative, a stir-fry made with lean protein such as tofu or tempeh and a variety of colorful vegetables would be a great option providing a variety of nutrients and fiber.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!