Welcome to Rice Cookers 101! Today, we are excited to share with you a delicious and healthy recipe for Peruvian tilapia rice. This dish combines the delicate flavors of tilapia fish with the bold spices of Peruvian cooking, all cooked to perfection in your trusty rice cooker. Whether you are trying to eat healthier or simply looking for a new recipe to enhance your weeknight dinner routine, this Peruvian tilapia rice is sure to satisfy. So, let’s get cooking! We’ve made this peruvian tilapia rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 1 cup of white rice
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon of aji amarillo paste
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 cup of chicken or fish broth
- 4 tilapia fillets, cut into pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro
- Rinse the rice in a colander and set it aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté until softened.
- Add the aji amarillo paste and tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice to the saucepan and stir it until it is coated with the vegetable mixture.
- Add the broth and stir it gently to combine.
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once it boils, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and all the water has been absorbed.
- While the rice is cooking, season the tilapia fillets with salt and pepper and set them aside.
- When the rice is done, add the tilapia pieces and chopped cilantro to the pan.
- Cover the pan again and let it cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the tilapia is cooked through.
- Once the tilapia is cooked, remove the pan from the heat and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
How long does peruvian tilapia rice last in the fridge?
Peruvian tilapia rice can be stored in the fridge for up to four days after cooking. However, it is important to properly store it in an airtight container and in the coldest part of the fridge to prevent bacterial growth. When reheating, make sure to cook it thoroughly to an internal temperature of 165°F to ensure it is safe to consume. Additionally, if the rice has been left out at room temperature for more than two hours, it should be discarded to avoid the risk of foodborne illnesses.
Low calorie peruvian tilapia rice recipe substitutions
To make this Peruvian Tilapia Rice recipe lower in calories, here are a few substitutions: instead of using white rice, switch to brown rice or cauliflower rice; instead of using vegetable oil, switch to cooking spray; use low-sodium chicken or fish broth instead of regular; use tilapia fillets instead of chicken or beef for a leaner protein option; reduce the amount of aji amarillo paste and tomato paste or use low-calorie alternatives; consider removing the oil or butter used in the recipe to sauté onions and garlic or use a non-stick pan instead. These substitutions will significantly lower the calorie count while still maintaining the dish’s flavor and nutritional value.
What to serve with a peruvian tilapia rice?
Peruvian tilapia rice is a delicious and flavorful dish that is often served with simple sides such as steamed vegetables, a simple green salad with a citrus vinaigrette, or even just some fresh sliced avocado. The dish is already quite filling, so light sides that complement the bold flavors of the tilapia and rice are ideal. Some crispy plantain chips or sliced plantains sautéed in oil could also be a nice addition as a crunchy contrast to the soft rice. Overall, the key is to keep the sides light and fresh to balance out the meal.
Whats the best sauce for a peruvian tilapia rice?
The best sauce for Peruvian tilapia rice would be aji verde. This traditional Peruvian sauce is made from blended or finely minced cilantro, jalapeño or other hot peppers, garlic, onion, lime juice, mayonnaise, and queso fresco or feta. Aji verde has a bright and zesty flavor that pairs perfectly with the mild taste of tilapia and the fragrant rice. It also adds a beautiful green color to the dish, making it look more appetizing. You can adjust the spiciness of the sauce by adding more or less chili peppers to suit your taste preferences. Serve the Peruvian tilapia rice with a generous dollop of aji verde on top for a delicious and authentic Peruvian meal.
Peruvian tilapia rice health benefits
Peruvian tilapia rice has a number of health benefits due to its nutritious ingredients. Tilapia is a lean protein that is low in calories and high in omega-3 fatty acids, which are important for heart health and brain function. Meanwhile, the brown rice used in the recipe provides complex carbohydrates and dietary fiber, which can aid in digestion and lower the risk of diabetes and heart disease. Additionally, the dish includes tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers, which provide vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to support overall health. Overall, peruvian tilapia rice is a healthy and delicious meal option.