Hola amigos! Today I have a delicious recipe for you that combines the goodness of broccoli and the simplicity of rice. This Spanish Broccoli Rice recipe is not only easy to make but also packed with flavors that will leave your taste buds asking for more. Using your trusty rice cooker, we will create a dish that is perfect as a side or as a fulfilling main course. So, grab your ingredients, turn on your rice cooker, and let’s get started cooking this Spanish Broccoli Rice! We’ve made this spanish broccoli rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
- 1 cup of white rice
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 cup of canned diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of sliced almonds, toasted
- Before you begin cooking, cut the broccoli head into bite-sized florets and set them aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat up 1 tablespoon of olive oil until it’s hot enough to sauté. It should take about 1 minute.
- Add a chopped onion and 2 minced garlic cloves into the heated oil and Sauté for 5 minutes. Keep stirring in the pan until they softened well.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika and 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin. Cook them for 1 minute. This will give it a good aroma and flavor.
- Add 1 cup of white rice into the mixture and stir until all of the rice is coated well with the oil and spices.
- Now, pour in 2 cups of vegetable broth and 1 cup of canned diced tomatoes. This will help cook the rice, imparting its own unique flavor.
- Let it come to a boil then reduce the heat to low, cover the saucepan, and let it simmer for the next 20 minutes. Remember, slowly cooking the rice is the key to achieving the right consistency.
- Now, add the broccoli florets on top of the rice mixture, then cover and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes. This will let the broccoli steam and become tender.
- When the rice is cooked through and the liquid is fully absorbed, remove the pan from the heat. Let it rest for 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- Serve with toasted sliced almonds sprinkled on top and enjoy!
How long does spanish broccoli rice last in the fridge?
Spanish broccoli rice can be stored in the fridge after cooking for up to four to five days, depending on the storage conditions. It’s important to store the rice in an airtight container or a tightly sealed plastic bag to prevent moisture from building up and spoiling the food quickly. If the rice has been sitting out at room temperature for more than two hours, it’s not advisable to store it, as it could have already developed bacteria and other microorganisms that could be harmful to health. When reheating the Spanish broccoli rice, ensure it’s steaming hot all the way through, and discard any leftovers that have been sitting in the fridge for more than five days.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!
Low calorie spanish broccoli rice recipe substitutions
To make this Spanish Broccoli Rice recipe lower calorie, one substitution could be using brown rice instead of white rice. Brown rice has more fiber and nutrients than white rice, making it a healthier choice. Another option would be to use less olive oil, which is a high-calorie ingredient. Instead of 1 tablespoon, using 1 teaspoon or less may be sufficient to cook the onion and garlic. Additionally, the sliced almonds could be omitted or reduced in quantity as they add extra calories and fat to the dish. Lastly, omitting the canned tomatoes and replacing them with fresh ones or reducing the amount of vegetable broth used could also help decrease the calorie count.
What to serve with a spanish broccoli rice?
Spanish broccoli rice is a flavorful and healthy dish that can be served as a main course or a side dish. To complement the dish, you can serve it with grilled chicken or salmon, roasted vegetables, and a fresh green salad. You can also add a sprinkle of grated cheese or a dollop of sour cream to enhance the flavor. For a complete Spanish meal, you can serve the broccoli rice with chorizo sausage, Spanish olives, and a glass of red wine. The options are endless, but the key is to create a balance of flavors and textures that work well together.
Whats the best sauce for a spanish broccoli rice?
A great sauce for Spanish broccoli rice is romesco sauce. This rich and nutty sauce is originated from Catalonia and is made with roasted red peppers, almonds, hazelnuts, tomatoes, garlic, and olive oil. It complements the spiciness of the Spanish broccoli rice perfectly and adds a nutty flavor and tangy taste. Romesco sauce is easy to make at home or can be found pre-made in most grocery stores. Drizzle it generously over the top of the Spanish broccoli rice for a delicious and comforting dish.
Spanish broccoli rice health benefits
There are several health benefits to eating Spanish broccoli rice. Broccoli is a nutrient-dense vegetable that is high in fiber, vitamins C and K, and antioxidants. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that are beneficial to overall health and may help to reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease. Brown rice, which is often used in Spanish broccoli rice, is a whole grain that is high in fiber, protein, and various vitamins and minerals. Overall, Spanish broccoli rice is a healthy and nutritious dish that is low in calories and high in beneficial nutrients.However, if you are looking for an even healthier recipe, I recommend trying a quinoa and vegetable stir-fry. Quinoa is a complete protein and contains all nine essential amino acids. It is also high in fiber and various nutrients, such as iron, magnesium, and zinc. A stir-fry made with plenty of colorful vegetables such as bell peppers, carrots, and broccoli is packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. You can season the stir-fry with herbs and spices or a low-sodium soy sauce for extra flavor.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!