Hola amigos! Today we are going to learn how to cook a delicious Spanish Shrimp Rice in a rice cooker. This versatile dish combines the flavors of chorizo, shrimp, and saffron to create a meal that is sure to impress your family and friends. With the help of your trusty rice cooker, you can prepare this recipe with ease and enjoy all the flavors of a classic Spanish dish. So, let’s get cooking! We’ve made this spanish shrimp rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or paella pan over medium heat. Add chopped onion, red bell pepper, and minced garlic to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft and translucent.
- Add long-grain rice to the pan and stir for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the rice is coated with the oil and vegetable mixture.
- Add chicken broth, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper to the pan. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- While the rice is cooking, season the peeled and deveined shrimp with salt and black pepper.
- In a separate pan, heat a little olive oil over medium heat. Add the seasoned shrimp and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until they turn pink and are cooked through.
- Once the rice is cooked, place the cooked shrimp on top of the rice in the skillet or paella pan.
- Cover the pan and let it rest for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired. Serve hot.
How long does spanish shrimp rice last in the fridge?
Spanish shrimp rice can typically be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days after cooking. It is important to let the dish cool down to room temperature before storing it, to prevent condensation from forming and making the rice soggy. When reheating, make sure to heat it up thoroughly to an internal temperature of 165°F to ensure it is safe to eat. It is not recommended to freeze shrimp rice as the texture will be compromised upon thawing. Discard any leftovers that have been left at room temperature for more than two hours.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!
Low calorie spanish shrimp rice recipe substitutions
To make this Spanish Shrimp Rice recipe lower in calories, a few substitutions can be made. First, switch to using low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth instead of regular chicken broth. Second, use brown rice instead of white rice to increase the fiber content and make it more filling. Additionally, reduce the amount of olive oil used for cooking and instead use a non-stick cooking spray. Finally, if a lower-calorie protein option is desired, shrimp can be substituted with other seafood like scallops or clams or with chicken breast that is grilled or boiled. With these substitutions, the recipe will still be flavorful but more calorie-conscious.
What to serve with a spanish shrimp rice?
Spanish shrimp rice can be served as a standalone dish or as a side dish. However, if you are planning to serve it as a complete meal, you can consider pairing it with a simple salad, such as a green salad with a vinaigrette dressing or a tomato, cucumber and onion salad. You can also serve some crusty bread on the side to soak up the delicious sauce. For a more hearty meal, you can pair the shrimp rice with some grilled or roasted vegetables, such as bell peppers, eggplant or zucchini. A glass of chilled white wine would make a perfect accompaniment.
Whats the best sauce for a spanish shrimp rice?
Spanish shrimp rice is a delicious and flavorful dish that can be further enhanced with the right sauce. The best sauce for Spanish shrimp rice is a homemade garlic and tomato sauce. To make this sauce, simply saute garlic and onions in olive oil until fragrant, add diced tomatoes, paprika, salt, and pepper, and let simmer until the sauce thickens. Pour the sauce over the cooked shrimp and rice and enjoy the delicious combination of flavors. This sauce perfectly complements the natural sweetness of the shrimp and the nutty flavor of the rice, adding depth and richness to the dish.
Spanish shrimp rice health benefits
Spanish shrimp rice can actually offer several health benefits. Shrimp is a great source of protein, vitamin D, and omega-3 fatty acids, which can help lower the risk of heart disease and stroke. Brown rice, often used in the recipe, is a whole grain that is high in fiber and can help promote digestive health. Additionally, the use of fresh vegetables such as bell peppers and tomatoes can provide vitamins and antioxidants. However, depending on the recipe, Spanish shrimp rice could be high in sodium and fat. If you are looking for a recipe that is even healthier, try a vegetable and quinoa stir-fry. This dish is loaded with fiber, protein, and vegetables, and can be customized with a variety of different veggies for added nutrition.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!