Hello Rice Cookers 101 readers! If you’re looking for a delicious and easy way to spice up your next meal, look no further than this recipe for spicy mushroom rice. Made with just a handful of ingredients and infused with bold flavors, this dish is sure to impress both your taste buds and your dinner guests. So grab your rice cooker and get ready to take your culinary skills to the next level! We’ve made this spicy mushroom rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cilantro or parsley, chopped (optional)
- Rinse the rice thoroughly in cold water and drain well.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper and cook for another minute.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they release their moisture and start to brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the rice to the pan and stir until it’s coated with the onion and spice mixture.
- Add the broth, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to a simmer, cover the pan, and cook until the rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid (about 18-20 minutes).
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it sit, covered, for another 5 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork, garnish with cilantro or parsley (if desired), and serve.
How long does spicy mushroom rice last in the fridge?
Spicy mushroom rice can be stored in the fridge after cooking for up to 4 days. It is important to store the rice in an airtight container to prevent the growth of bacteria. When reheating the rice, make sure it is thoroughly heated to an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) to ensure it is safe to eat. You may also want to add a splash of water or broth to the rice while reheating to prevent it from drying out. It is not recommended to store cooked rice at room temperature for more than 2 hours, as this can increase the risk of foodborne illness.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!
Low calorie spicy mushroom rice recipe substitutions
To make this recipe lower calorie, the following substitutions can be made:1. Use brown rice instead of white rice.2. Replace the vegetable oil with cooking spray or a small amount of olive oil.3. Reduce the amount of rice used by half and add more mushrooms and vegetables to the dish.4. Use low-sodium vegetable broth or even water instead of regular vegetable broth.5. Remove the optional garnish of cilantro or parsley to reduce calories.By making these substitutions, the dish will have fewer calories while still maintaining its flavor and nutrition.
What to serve with a spicy mushroom rice?
Spicy mushroom rice is a flavorful and filling side dish that pairs well with a variety of proteins. For a vegetarian meal, it can be served alongside roasted or grilled vegetables such as zucchini, eggplant, or bell peppers. It also complements grilled chicken, fish, or tofu. For a complete meal, consider adding a fresh side salad or a simple soup to balance the spicy flavors of the rice. Additionally, a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream can help cool down the heat if needed.
Whats the best sauce for a spicy mushroom rice?
For a spicy mushroom rice dish, the best sauce to complement the flavors would be a tangy and creamy yogurt-based sauce with a hint of freshness from mint or cilantro. A simple yogurt sauce can be made by blending together some yogurt, minced garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and chopped herbs. You can also add some chili flakes or hot sauce to give it an extra kick of heat. This sauce is versatile and complements the earthy and spicy flavors of the mushroom rice perfectly.
Spicy mushroom rice health benefits
Spicy mushroom rice is a healthy and nutritious meal that can offer a range of benefits. Firstly, mushrooms are a great source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin D, which can help strengthen bones and improve immune function. Secondly, the spices used in the dish, such as turmeric and chili powder, have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases. Finally, rice is a low-fat and gluten-free ingredient that can provide a steady source of energy. Overall, spicy mushroom rice can be a hearty and healthy addition to a balanced diet. However, if you are looking for an even healthier option, I would suggest a quinoa and vegetable stir-fry. Quinoa is a high-protein, low-fat grain that is rich in fiber and essential amino acids. When combined with fresh vegetables like bell peppers, broccoli, and spinach, this dish can provide even more nutrients and antioxidants to support overall health and wellbeing.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!