Hello and welcome to Rice Cookers 101! Today we’re going to spice up our rice game a little bit with a delicious and easy recipe for spicy salmon rice. This recipe is perfect for those who love a little heat in their meals and want to enjoy a healthy and protein-packed dish. With the help of your trusty rice cooker, this meal will be ready in no time. Let’s get cooking! We’ve made this spicy salmon rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 1 lb salmon, skin removed
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Rinse and drain the 1 cup white rice until water is clear. Place the rinsed rice in a pot with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 18-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the 1/2 onion (chopped) and the 2 cloves garlic (minced). Cook until the onion is soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Prepare the 1 lb salmon by brushing with 1 tsp sesame oil and seasoning with salt and pepper. Place the salmon in the skillet with the onions and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until cooked through. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup soy sauce, 2 tbsp sriracha sauce, and 1 tbsp honey. Pour over the onions in the skillet and let simmer for 1-2 minutes until slightly reduced.
- Add the cooked rice to the skillet and stir to combine with the sauce and onions. Flake the salmon into the skillet, breaking it up into bite-sized pieces. Stir to combine with the rice and sauce.
- Sprinkle with 2 green onions (chopped) and sesame seeds (if using). Serve hot.
How long does spicy salmon rice last in the fridge?
Spicy salmon rice can be stored in the fridge after cooking for around 3-4 days. To ensure that it stays fresher for longer, it’s important to let it cool down before storing it in an airtight container and to avoid cross-contamination with raw foods. It’s also recommended to reheat the dish thoroughly before eating it again. If the rice smells or looks off, it’s best to discard it to avoid food poisoning. It’s always a good idea to label the container with the date it was made so that you don’t forget how long it’s been stored.
Low calorie spicy salmon rice recipe substitutions
To make this Spicy Salmon Rice recipe lower in calories, there are a few substitutions that could be made. First, instead of using 1 lb of salmon, the recipe could be made with 1/2 lb of salmon, or even substituted with a lower calorie protein source like tofu or shrimp. Secondly, the amount of oil used in this recipe could be reduced or substituted with a non-stick cooking spray to reduce the calories and fat from the vegetable oil. Thirdly, the amount of honey used in the recipe could be reduced, or substituted with a natural low-calorie sweetener like Stevia or Monk fruit sweetener. Finally, substituting the white rice with cauliflower rice or a whole grain like brown rice would also make this recipe lower in calories while increasing the fiber and nutrient content. By making these substitutions, this Spicy Salmon Rice recipe can be made lower in calories while still being delicious and nutritious.
What to serve with a spicy salmon rice?
Spicy salmon rice pairs well with a variety of sides, depending on your personal taste. For a light option, consider serving with a side salad dressed with a citrus vinaigrette or steamed vegetables such as broccoli or asparagus. Alternatively, you could serve it with roasted sweet potatoes or corn on the cob for a heartier option. A cool cucumber and avocado salad would also be a great accompaniment to balance out the spiciness of the dish. Finally, if you’re looking for a more traditional rice pairing, consider serving with a side of naan bread or pita bread to soak up any remaining sauce.
Whats the best sauce for a spicy salmon rice?
There are several options that could complement spicy salmon rice, but one of the best sauces is a sweet and spicy chilli sauce. The sweetness will balance the spice of the salmon and add an additional layer of flavor that will enhance the dish. Alternatively, a creamy avocado lime sauce could also work well with spicy salmon rice. Its creamy and tangy taste would create a delicious contrast and help to cool down the heat. Ultimately, the best sauce for your spicy salmon rice will depend on your personal preferences, so feel free to experiment and try different sauces until you find the one that best suits your taste buds.
Spicy salmon rice health benefits
Eating spicy salmon rice has several health benefits. Salmon is a good source of protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamin D, which can improve heart health, brain function, and immune system function. Spicy flavoring such as chili peppers contain capsaicin, which has been shown to reduce inflammation and can aid in weight loss by increasing metabolism. Rice is also a good source of carbohydrates that provides energy to the body. Therefore, this dish is a healthy choice for those who are looking to maintain a healthy diet.If you are looking for something even healthier, you can try a quinoa and vegetable stir-fry dish. Quinoa is a great source of protein and fiber and is also gluten-free. The vegetables in the stir-fry add more fiber and nutrients to the dish. You can add flavor with a low-sodium sauce or by using herbs and spices. This dishes is a great way to get a variety of nutrients in your diet.