Hello and welcome to Rice Cookers 101! Today, I have a delicious recipe for spicy spinach rice that will leave you craving for more. This simple yet flavorsome recipe is perfect for those who love spicy food and want to incorporate more greens into their diet. The combination of rice, spinach, and spices create a balance of flavors that will satisfy your taste buds. So, let’s get started and make some mouth-watering spicy spinach rice! We’ve made this spicy spinach rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 serrano peppers, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fresh spinach, washed and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Rinse one cup of long-grain rice in a fine-mesh sieve, and set it aside.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat two tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Add one small onion diced into the pot and cook it until it’s softened and translucent for about five minutes.
- Add two cloves of minced garlic, one to two diced serrano peppers, one teaspoon of ground cumin, half a teaspoon of smoked paprika, a quarter teaspoon of cayenne pepper, and half a teaspoon of salt. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the rice to the pot and stir to coat it with the onion and spice mixture for 2-3 minutes until lightly toasted.
- Add two cups of water to the pot, stir, and bring it to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 18-20 minutes until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Remove the pot from heat, add four cups of washed and chopped spinach, stir, and cover it. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes until the spinach is wilted.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and stir in a quarter cup of chopped fresh cilantro. Serve hot.
How long does spicy spinach rice last in the fridge?
Spicy spinach rice can typically be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days after cooking. It is important to store the rice in an airtight container to prevent it from drying out or absorbing other odors in the fridge. When reheating the rice, adding a little bit of water or broth can help to moisten it and restore flavor. However, if you notice any signs of spoilage or mold, it is best to discard the rice and not consume it. As always, it is important to practice safe food handling and storage to prevent foodborne illness.
Low calorie spicy spinach rice recipe substitutions
To make this spicy spinach rice recipe lower calorie, there are a few substitutions that can be made. Firstly, use brown rice instead of white rice to increase the fiber content and reduce the calorie count. Instead of using vegetable oil, you can use a non-stick cooking spray or a small amount of olive oil to reduce the amount of fat. Additionally, you can reduce the amount of rice and increase the amount of spinach to add more green and nutrient-dense vegetables to the dish. Finally, you can reduce the amount of salt and use spices like black pepper, turmeric, and ginger to add flavor to the dish without adding more calories. Making these simple substitutions will create a lower-calorie version of the recipe that is still delicious and nutritious.
What to serve with a spicy spinach rice?
Spicy spinach rice pairs well with a variety of dishes, depending on personal preferences and the occasion. For a vegetarian meal, consider serving the rice with vegetable curry, lentil dal, or roasted cauliflower. For a non-vegetarian option, grilled chicken, fish, or shrimp can complement the rice nicely. A side of cucumber raita or a fresh garden salad will help cool down the spiciness and balance the flavors. Finally, consider topping the rice with crunchy roasted nuts, such as cashews, almonds, or pistachios, for added texture and richness.
Whats the best sauce for a spicy spinach rice?
My suggestion for the best sauce to go with spicy spinach rice would be a yogurt-based sauce. Mix some plain Greek yogurt with cilantro, lime juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. This sauce will complement the heat from the spices in the rice while also providing a cooling effect. The creaminess of the yogurt will also balance out the texture of the rice and spinach. This versatile sauce can also be used for dipping or drizzling on grilled meats or roasted vegetables. Give it a try and enjoy a delicious and nutritious meal!
Spicy spinach rice health benefits
Eating spicy spinach rice has several health benefits. Spinach is a nutrient-rich vegetable that contains vitamins A, C, K, and Folate. It is also rich in minerals such as iron, calcium, and magnesium. Spices like cumin, coriander, and chili powder in the recipe have anti-inflammatory properties that can help in reducing inflammation in the body. Adding brown rice to the recipe also provides fiber, which promotes fullness, digestion, and helps to regulate blood sugar levels. In conclusion, spicy spinach rice is a healthy meal that can provide you a wealth of vitamins, minerals, and fiber which can help to maintain overall health.