Hello and welcome to Rice Cookers 101! Today, I have a delicious and spicy recipe for you – Swordfish Rice. Not only is this dish easy to make, but it’s also packed with bold and exciting flavors. If you’re a fan of spicy food and seafood, you’ll definitely want to give this recipe a try. So, let’s get cooking! We’ve made this spicy swordfish rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 1 pound swordfish, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups white rice, rinsed and drained
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Chopped parsley, for serving (optional)
- Lemon wedges, for serving (optional)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once hot, add the swordfish and cook until lightly browned for about 3 minutes. Once done, remove swordfish from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the diced onion, red bell pepper, and minced garlic to the same skillet. Cook everything together for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Next, add the rinsed and drained white rice, 3 1/2 cups of water, 1/2 teaspoon of paprika, 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the skillet. Stir everything together.
- Then, add the swordfish which was cooked previously back to the skillet. Stir everything together evenly.
- Bring everything to a boil and then reduce heat to a low setting, cover the skillet, and simmer for 18-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove the skillet from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Once done, fluff the food with a fork before serving.
- Add chopped parsley and lemon wedges as a garnish (optional).
How long does spicy swordfish rice last in the fridge?
Spicy swordfish rice can be stored in the fridge after cooking for up to four days. It is important to cool the rice quickly and store it in an airtight container to prevent bacteria growth. When reheating the rice, be sure to heat it to an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) to ensure it is safe to eat. It is not recommended to freeze spicy swordfish rice as the fish may not stay fresh and it may affect the texture of the rice when reheated. It is always best to consume leftovers within a few days to ensure freshness and safety.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!
Low calorie spicy swordfish rice recipe substitutions
To make this Spicy Swordfish Rice recipe lower in calories, some substitutions can be made. Firstly, instead of using white rice, you can use brown rice which is a healthier, fiber-rich option. Secondly, instead of frying the swordfish, you can grill or bake it to cut down on excess oil and calories. You can also reduce the amount of olive oil used in the recipe and use cooking spray instead. Lastly, you can reduce the amount of salt and adjust the amount of spices used to taste. These substitutions will help to make the recipe a healthier option.
What to serve with a spicy swordfish rice?
There are various side dishes that you can serve with spicy swordfish rice. A refreshing salad like cucumber and tomato with a lemon and olive oil dressing can help balance the spicy flavor of the rice. Additionally, grilled vegetables such as zucchini, eggplant, and bell peppers can add some color and nutrition to the meal. A classic garlic bread or buttery bread rolls can also be served on the side to complement the flavors of the fish and rice dish. Finally, a glass of chilled white wine or a mocktail can further enhance the dining experience.
Whats the best sauce for a spicy swordfish rice?
To complement the flavors of a spicy swordfish rice, the best sauce is a zesty and tangy lemon garlic butter sauce. This sauce is made by melting butter in a pan and adding minced garlic, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Stir the sauce until it thickens, and then pour it over your spicy swordfish rice. This sauce will add richness and depth to your dish, while still letting the spiciness of the swordfish shine through.
Spicy swordfish rice health benefits
Spicy swordfish rice can provide several health benefits. Swordfish is an excellent source of high-quality protein and omega-3 fatty acids, which are beneficial for heart health and brain function. The spicy seasoning can also help boost metabolism and decrease inflammation in the body. Additionally, the rice provides a good source of complex carbohydrates and fiber, which helps regulate blood sugar levels and promote digestive health. Overall, spicy swordfish rice is a flavorful and healthy meal choice. However, if you are looking for a different recipe that may be even healthier, I would recommend trying grilled salmon with quinoa and roasted vegetables. Salmon is also a great source of protein and omega-3s, while quinoa is a complete protein and a good source of fiber. Roasted vegetables provide additional vitamins and minerals, and the grilling method helps retain nutrients and reduces the need for added oils or fats.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!