Hello Rice Cookers 101 community! Ready to spice up your rice game? You’ve come to the right place. Today’s recipe is all about adding some heat and flavor to your plain rice, and what better way to do that than with some spicy tomato rice? This dish is perfect for when you want to switch things up from your usual rice dishes, and it’s also a great accompaniment to any meal. So let’s get cooking! We’ve made this spicy tomato rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.2. Add 1 chopped onion and 3 minced garlic cloves to the skillet; sauté until tender and golden brown, for about 5 minutes.3. Stir in 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander, and 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric; cook for 1 more minute.4. Add 1 cup of long-grain rice and stir to coat with the spices; cook for another 2-3 minutes.5. Stir in 2 cups of water, 1 can (14 oz.) of diced tomatoes with their juices, and 1 teaspoon of salt; bring to a boil.6. Reduce heat to low and cover the skillet. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.7. Remove the skillet from heat and let it stand covered for 5 minutes.8. Fluff the rice with a fork and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro. Serve hot.
How long does spicy tomato rice last in the fridge?
Spicy tomato rice can be safely stored in the refrigerator for up to four days after cooking. It is important to transfer the rice to an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag and store it in the refrigerator as soon as it has cooled down to room temperature. When reheating the rice, it is recommended to microwave it in small intervals, adding a splash of water to prevent it from drying out. Before consuming leftover rice, make sure it has been reheated thoroughly to an internal temperature of at least 165°F (74°C) to prevent foodborne illnesses.
Low calorie spicy tomato rice recipe substitutions
To make this spicy tomato rice recipe lower in calories, there are a few substitutions you could make. First, you could use a non-stick spray instead of the 2 tablespoons of oil, or reduce the amount of oil by half. Second, you could use a lower calorie alternative to the long-grain rice, such as cauliflower rice or brown rice. Third, you could reduce the amount of canned diced tomatoes and replace it with fresh diced tomatoes, which contain fewer calories. Fourth, you could skip the use of fresh cilantro or reduce the amount of cilantro used. Lastly, you could skip or reduce the amount of salt used. By making these substitutions, the recipe would be lower in calories and still flavorful.
What to serve with a spicy tomato rice?
Spicy tomato rice is a flavorful side dish that pairs well with a variety of proteins. For a vegetarian option, consider serving the rice alongside grilled or roasted vegetables, such as zucchini, bell peppers, or eggplant. For a heartier meal, you can serve it with grilled chicken, shrimp, or even tofu. Additionally, a simple green salad with a citrus or vinaigrette dressing can balance out the spiciness of the rice and provide a refreshing contrast. Finally, for texture and crunch, add some toasted nuts or seeds, such as sliced almonds or pumpkin seeds, on top of the rice.
Whats the best sauce for a spicy tomato rice?
The best sauce for spicy tomato rice is a tangy and slightly spicy cilantro lime sauce. To make it, blend together fresh cilantro, lime juice, garlic, jalapeno (seeds removed for less spice), and Greek yogurt or sour cream. Drizzle the sauce over the tomato rice for a burst of flavor and creaminess that will balance out the heat. You can also serve it alongside the rice as a dipping sauce.
Spicy tomato rice health benefits
Spicy tomato rice has several health benefits. Tomatoes are rich in antioxidants which helps in preventing cancer and strengthen the immune system. Adding spices like chili peppers and cumin can boost metabolism and aid in digestion. Brown rice instead of white rice in the recipe can provide more fiber, vitamins and minerals. Also, this recipe typically uses minimal oil and fats, which can reduce the risk of heart diseases and obesity. Therefore, spicy tomato rice can be a healthy dish to eat in moderation, with the added benefits of taste and variety. However, if you want an even healthier recipe, you can try grilled fish with roasted vegetables or a quinoa salad with grilled chicken and avocado as they offer more protein, vitamins, and fiber while being low in fat and carbs.