Hello there, aspiring chefs! If you’re on the lookout for a quick, easy, and spicy meal, then you’ve come to the right place. Today, we’ll be whipping up a savory and delicious dish of spicy turkey rice that’s sure to please your taste buds. Best of all, this recipe can be cooked to perfection with the help of your trusty rice cooker, making it a hassle-free and foolproof dinner option for busy weeknights. So get ready to add some heat to your meal and let’s get cooking! We’ve made this spicy turkey rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, diced avocado, chopped cilantro
- Firstly, put a large skillet on the stove and heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Next, add 1 pound of ground turkey and cook it until it turns brown (note: it will take a few minutes for the turkey to cook).
- After the turkey is cooked properly, you need to add chopped onion, minced garlic, chopped green bell pepper and chopped red bell pepper. Then continue to cook this for a few more minutes until soft.
- Now, it’s time to add 2 cups of chicken broth, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 cup of uncooked white rice, 1 tablespoon of chili powder, 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, and salt & pepper to taste. Stir the mixture to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, and cover the skillet with a lid. Let it simmer for around 20-25 minutes while stirring occasionally until the rice is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Once the rice is correctly cooked, turn off the heat and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Finally, use a fork to fluff the rice and serve it with some toppings such as shredded cheese, sour cream, diced avocado, chopped cilantro. Now, your Spicy Turkey Rice is ready to be served.
How long does spicy turkey rice last in the fridge?
Spicy turkey rice can typically be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days after cooking. It is best to store the rice in an airtight container to prevent it from drying out or absorbing any unwanted flavors or odors from other foods in the fridge. To reheat the rice, it is recommended to add a couple of tablespoons of water or broth to the container before microwaving or reheating on the stove. It is important to ensure that the rice is heated to an internal temperature of at least 165°F to kill off any potential bacteria that may have grown during storage. After four days, any remaining rice should be discarded to avoid the risk of food poisoning.
Low calorie spicy turkey rice recipe substitutions
To make this Spicy Turkey Rice recipe lower in calories, you can substitute some of the ingredients with healthier options. Replace ground turkey with ground chicken or even lean ground beef to decrease the total fat content. You can also use brown rice instead of white rice to add more fiber and nutrients to the dish. Using low-sodium chicken broth and skipping the extra salt will reduce the sodium content. Additionally, skip the optional toppings or use a low-fat or non-fat sour cream, small amounts of shredded cheese, and a small amount of avocado. These substitutions can make this recipe healthier and lower in calories without sacrificing taste.
What to serve with a spicy turkey rice?
There are several options to complement spicy turkey rice. You could serve a simple side salad with lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumbers dressed with lemon juice and olive oil to add a refreshing flavor and cut through the heat of the spicy dish. Grilled or roasted vegetables such as zucchini, bell peppers, or broccoli could also add some color and nutrition to the meal. If you want to keep the dish Indian-inspired, you could serve some naan bread or papadum crackers on the side for some crunch and texture. Finally, a dollop of yogurt or raita can be a cooling addition to balance the spice and add some creaminess to the dish.
Whats the best sauce for a spicy turkey rice?
The best sauce for spicy turkey rice is a flavorful combination of soy sauce, chili paste, and honey. Mix 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1 tablespoon chili paste, and 2 tablespoons honey together in a small bowl until well blended. This spicy and sweet sauce is perfect for drizzling over a bowl of hot and spicy turkey rice, adding a depth of flavor that’ll make your taste buds dance. For an extra kick, you can add a squeeze of lime juice or a sprinkle of sliced green onions on top. Enjoy!
Spicy turkey rice health benefits
Spicy turkey rice has several health benefits. The turkey is a lean protein which helps with muscle recovery and growth. The spices used, such as chili peppers and turmeric, have anti-inflammatory properties which can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases like heart disease. Brown rice used in the recipe is a complex carbohydrate that provides sustained energy and is high in fiber, which promotes digestive health. Overall, spicy turkey rice can be a great recipe for those who are looking to eat a healthy and balanced meal. However, it is important to keep in mind that the level of spiciness should be adjusted according to an individual’s tolerance. If spicy food is not preferred, an alternative recipe that can be healthier could be grilled chicken with roasted vegetables. The chicken can be marinated in herbs and spices to enhance the flavor, and the roasted vegetables can include a variety of options like broccoli, bell peppers, and sweet potatoes. This recipe is rich in nutrients and low in calories, making it a great choice for those who want to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle.