Hello and welcome to Rice Cookers 101! Today, we’ll be sharing a delicious and easy-to-make recipe for Thai Adobo Rice. This flavor-packed dish combines the spicy and sweet flavors of Thai cuisine with the savory taste of adobo seasoning, all cooked perfectly in a rice cooker. Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a beginner, this recipe is sure to impress your taste buds and become a staple in your recipe arsenal. So, let’s get cooking! We’ve made this thai adobo rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Rinse 2 cups of jasmine rice and set aside for later use.
- Mix 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup vinegar, 2 tbsp sugar, and 1 tbsp fish sauce in a medium bowl and set aside for later use.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
- Once heated, add 1 chopped onion and 3-4 cloves minced garlic to the skillet and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Next, add 1 chopped red bell pepper and 1 chopped green bell pepper to the skillet and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rinsed rice to the skillet and sauté until it is lightly toasted for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of water to the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet or wok with a lid, and let the rice mixture simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked.
- Once the rice is fully cooked, add the soy sauce mixture, 1 tsp black pepper, and 1/4 cup chopped green onions to the skillet.
- Stir the contents of the skillet for a few minutes until the sauce is fully absorbed and the rice is cooked and aromatic.
- Remove the skillet from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Serve and enjoy your Thai Adobo Rice recipe!
How long does thai adobo rice last in the fridge?
Thai adobo rice can be stored in the fridge for up to 4-5 days after cooking, but it is important to store it properly in a tightly sealed container. It is recommended to let the rice cool down to room temperature for about 2 hours before storing it in the fridge to prevent condensation and the growth of bacteria. To reheat the rice, add a tablespoon of water and cover it with a lid or plastic wrap, then microwave for 1-2 minutes depending on the desired temperature. It is important to always ensure that the rice is piping hot and evenly heated throughout before consuming to reduce the risk of foodborne illness.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!
Low calorie thai adobo rice recipe substitutions
There are several substitutions that can be made to reduce the calorie content of this Thai Adobo Rice recipe. Firstly, you can replace the jasmine rice with cauliflower rice which is a low-carb and low-calorie alternative. Secondly, you can reduce the amount of oil used for cooking by using a non-stick pan and cooking spray instead. Thirdly, you can reduce the amount of sugar used or replace it with a natural sweetener such as stevia or honey. Fourthly, you can reduce the amount of soy sauce used or replace it with low-sodium soy sauce. Lastly, you can add more vegetables and reduce the amount of rice used to reduce the calorie content while keeping the dish delicious and filling. By making these substitutions, you can create a healthier and lower calorie version of the Thai Adobo Rice recipe without compromising on taste.
What to serve with a thai adobo rice?
Thai adobo rice is a flavorful dish that brings together the tanginess of vinegar and the sweetness of coconut milk. To complement this dish, you can serve some stir-fried vegetables like broccoli, bell peppers, and snap peas, or a fresh side salad with cucumbers, carrots, and lettuce. You can also pair it with some grilled chicken, beef skewers, or tofu for a complete and satisfying meal. A refreshing drink like iced tea or coconut water would be a perfect match to balance out the bold flavors of the dish.
Whats the best sauce for a thai adobo rice?
For Thai Adobo rice, the best sauce to complement its rich and savory flavors is a classic Thai peanut sauce. This sweet and savory sauce is the perfect accompaniment to the tangy adobo flavor of the rice. It is easy to make and usually includes peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, honey, garlic, and a touch of Sriracha for a bit of heat. The creamy texture and complex flavor are a wonderful complement to the dish. Drizzle it over the rice and garnish with some chopped peanuts and cilantro for an extra touch of flavor and texture. Enjoy!
Thai adobo rice health benefits
Thai adobo rice is a delicious and flavorful dish that offers several health benefits. The dish contains brown rice, which is high in fiber and essential nutrients like manganese, selenium, and magnesium. The vegetables used in the recipe, such as peppers and onions, are good sources of vitamins and antioxidants. The dish is also cooked with coconut oil, which has been shown to have numerous health benefits, including reducing inflammation and improving heart health. However, the dish can also be high in sodium and calories, depending on the preparation. For a healthier option, you could try making a stir-fry with lean protein, such as chicken or tofu, and a variety of colorful vegetables. Serve it with brown rice or quinoa for added fiber and nutrition.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!