Greetings foodies! Are you looking to add a little international flair to your rice cooker meals? Look no further than this delicious recipe for Thai Cod Rice. With fragrant herbs and spices, flaky cod, and fluffy jasmine rice, this dish is the perfect way to spice up your weeknight dinner routine. Plus, it’s easy to make in your rice cooker, leaving you with less time in the kitchen and more time to enjoy your meal. So, get ready to embark on a culinary adventure with this tasty Thai Cod Rice recipe from Rice Cookers 101! We’ve made this thai cod rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
Here’s the ingredient list as an HTML unordered list:
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup snow peas, strings removed
- 2 -3 cod fillets
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 small lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Rinse 1 cup of jasmine rice in cold water until the water runs clear. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add 1 minced garlic clove and stir for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add 1 small sliced red onion, 1 sliced red pepper, and 1 sliced green pepper to the pan and sauté for 2 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add 1/2 cup of snow peas (strings removed) to the pan and sauté for another minute until slightly tender.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the rice and stir to combine with the vegetables.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of water to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover the pan, and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all of the water.
- While the rice is cooking, place 2-3 cod fillets in a steamer basket and steam for 10-15 minutes, or until cooked through.
- For the sauce, mix together 1/2 cup of coconut milk, 1 tablespoon of Thai fish sauce, and 1 tablespoon of Thai red curry paste. Squeeze in the juice of 1 small lime and stir to combine.
- In a serving dish, place a scoop of rice with a fillet of cooked cod on top.
- Pour the coconut sauce over the fish fillets and garnish with 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro and a lime wedge.
- Enjoy your delicious Thai Cod Rice!
How long does thai cod rice last in the fridge?
Thai cod rice can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days after cooking. It is important to allow the rice to cool completely before transferring it to the fridge, as this will prevent bacteria growth. When reheating the dish, be sure to heat it thoroughly to an internal temperature of at least 165°F (74°C) to ensure that it is safe to eat. Additionally, if the rice has been sitting in the fridge for more than a day, make sure to smell it before consuming to ensure it has not spoiled.
Low calorie thai cod rice recipe substitutions
To make this recipe lower in calories, some substitutions can be made. Instead of jasmine rice, use cauliflower rice or brown rice. Cut down on the amount of oil used and use a nonstick cooking spray. Instead of coconut milk, use low-fat coconut milk or almond milk. Reduce or omit the fish sauce as it tends to be high in sodium. Use a leaner fish such as tilapia instead of cod. Lastly, increase the amount of vegetables and decrease the amount of rice on the plate. These substitutions will help to reduce the calorie count and make the dish healthier.
What to serve with a thai cod rice?
To complement the flavors of Thai cod rice, you can serve a nutritious and flavorful side dish such as a green papaya salad. The salad is made by shredding unripe papaya, seasoning it with lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, chili paste, and adding tomatoes, green beans, peanuts, and herbs like cilantro. Not only does it add a crunchy texture to your meal, but the salad’s sweet, salty, sour, and spicy flavors also balance well with the mild and flaky fish, and the fragrant rice. You can make adjustments to the spice level to suit your taste and also add some steamed vegetables like bok choy or broccoli for an extra dose of nutrients.
Whats the best sauce for a thai cod rice?
The best sauce for Thai cod rice would be a combination of flavors that compliments the dish. A classic Thai sauce called nam pla prik is a great option, made with fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and chilies. This sauce adds a tangy and spicy element to the dish. Additionally, a peanut sauce can be a great addition, balancing the flavors with its creamy texture and nutty flavor. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and taste test to adjust the flavors according to preferences. Pour the sauce over the Thai cod rice for a delicious and well-rounded meal.
Thai cod rice health benefits
Thai cod rice can be a healthy dish depending on the ingredients and preparation methods used. Cod is a great source of lean protein that can help with muscle recovery and growth. Additionally, the dish may incorporate long-grain rice, ginger, garlic, and vegetables like bell peppers or broccoli. Brown rice is a healthier option than white rice as it contains more fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Vegetables add fiber, vitamins, and minerals to the dish. The ginger and garlic may have anti-inflammatory properties, which can potentially help with reducing pain and inflammation in the body. However, if the dish is high in sodium or uses unhealthy oils, the health benefits may be negated. Use low-sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos, and swap vegetable or avocado oil for unhealthy oils to make the dish healthier. If you are looking for a recipe that is even healthier, try roasted cod with roasted vegetables, or a salmon and quinoa bowl, which are higher in nutrients and lower in calories.