Hello there and welcome to Rice Cookers 101! Today, we are excited to share with you an incredible recipe for Thai tuna rice that is sure to impress your taste buds. This dish is packed with delicious flavors of Thai cuisine, such as lemongrass, ginger, and coconut milk, combined with tender tuna and fluffy rice. Our recipe is easy to follow and can be prepared in just a few simple steps using your trusty rice cooker. So, let’s get started and enjoy a mouth-watering meal in no time! We’ve made this thai tuna rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 can (6 oz.) tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Rinse 1 cup of jasmine rice in a strainer and let it drain.
- Place the rice and 1 1/2 cups of water in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Cover and bring to a boil on high heat.
- When it starts to boil, turn down the heat to low and let it simmer for 18-20 minutes.
- The rice is ready when the water has been completely absorbed and the rice grains are tender.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and keep it warm.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/3 cup coconut milk, 1 tbsp fish sauce, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 2 cloves minced garlic, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
- Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat.
- Add a drained can of 6 oz. tuna fish and stir-fry it for 1-2 minutes until it’s lightly browned.
- Pour in the coconut milk mixture and stir until it thickens, around 2-3 minutes.
- Divide the rice among plates and top it with the tuna mixture.
- Garnish with 1/4 cup of fresh chopped cilantro if desired.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
How long does thai tuna rice last in the fridge?
Thai tuna rice can typically be stored in the fridge for up to four days as long as it is stored properly in an airtight container. It is important to allow the dish to cool completely before storing it in the fridge to prevent any bacteria growth. Additionally, it is recommended to reheat the rice thoroughly before consuming it again to ensure that it is safe to eat. It is not recommended to freeze Thai tuna rice as the texture of the rice can be compromised once thawed.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!
Low calorie thai tuna rice recipe substitutions
To make this Thai tuna rice recipe lower in calories, here are some possible substitutions:- Use brown rice instead of jasmine rice. Brown rice has more fiber and nutrients and fewer calories than white rice.- Use light coconut milk instead of full-fat coconut milk. Light coconut milk has about half the calories and less fat than regular coconut milk.- Use a lower-calorie sweetener instead of brown sugar, such as stevia or erythritol.- Reduce the amount of oil used to stir-fry the tuna, or use cooking spray instead of oil.- Use fresh herbs such as parsley or basil instead of cilantro, which can be high in calories.By making these substitutions, you can reduce the overall calorie content of the recipe while still keeping the flavor and texture.
What to serve with a thai tuna rice?
Thai tuna rice is a delicious and flavorful dish that is perfect for a light and refreshing meal. Some great side dishes to serve with it could be a fresh cucumber and tomato salad with a tangy dressing or steamed vegetables such as broccoli or bok choy. Additionally, some Thai-style appetizers like spring rolls or dumplings would complement the dish nicely. And for something sweet, finishing off with some sliced fresh fruit would make the meal complete.
Whats the best sauce for a thai tuna rice?
The best sauce for Thai tuna rice would be a sweet and savory Thai-style peanut sauce. To make the sauce, combine peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, and red pepper flakes in a blender or food processor until smooth. Drizzle the sauce over the cooked tuna rice and top with chopped scallions, cilantro, and chopped peanuts for added flavor and texture. The peanut sauce adds depth and richness to the dish while also complementing the spicy and tangy flavors of the Thai tuna rice.
Thai tuna rice health benefits
Thai tuna rice is a balanced dish that offers several health benefits. Tuna is packed with protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and selenium, which promote cardiovascular health and reduce the risk of chronic diseases, such as cancer and Alzheimer’s. Brown rice, which is used in Thai tuna rice, is a complex carbohydrate that provides sustained energy, keeps you fuller for longer, and supports gut health. Additionally, Thai tuna rice often includes vegetables like bell peppers, carrots, and scallions that are rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Overall, Thai tuna rice is a nutritious and delicious meal that supports a healthy lifestyle.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!