Hello there and welcome to Rice Cookers 101! Today, we have an exciting Vietnamese-inspired recipe for you to try out in your rice cooker. Our zucchini rice is a delicious and healthy dish that is easy to make and perfect for any occasion. With its combination of tender rice, flavorful zucchini, and a medley of aromatic herbs and spices, we guarantee that your taste buds will be left wanting more. So, get ready to impress your friends and family with this tasty and colorful dish! We’ve made this vietnamese zucchini rice recipe easy to follow 👨🍳. If you’re looking for our favorite rice cookers to make this recipe, check out our list of top rice cookers here.
- 1 cup of uncooked white rice
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Rinse the rice in cold water until the water runs clear. Drain the rice and add it to a pot with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let the rice simmer until all the water is absorbed, about 18-20 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add the chopped onion to the skillet and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until the onion is softened and slightly golden.
- Add the chopped zucchini to the skillet and stir-fry for an additional 3-4 minutes until the zucchini is tender and lightly browned around the edges.
- Season the vegetables with salt and black pepper to taste, then add 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and stir to combine.
- Fluff the cooked rice with a fork and add it to the skillet with the vegetables. Toss everything together until the rice is evenly coated with the vegetable mixture and heated through.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and serve hot.
How long does vietnamese zucchini rice last in the fridge?
Vietnamese zucchini rice is a delicious rice dish that can be stored in the refrigerator for several days. Typically, cooked rice can be safely stored in the fridge for up to four days. However, to ensure the best quality and safety of the zucchini rice, it is very important to store it properly. After cooking and allowing the rice to cool, transfer it to an airtight container and seal tightly. Then, place the container in the refrigerator and ensure that it is stored at a temperature of 40°F or lower. When reheating the rice, make sure it is heated to an internal temperature of 165°F to kill any bacteria.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!
Low calorie vietnamese zucchini rice recipe substitutions
To make this Vietnamese zucchini rice recipe lower in calories, you can make a few substitutions. First, instead of using white rice, use brown rice, which is higher in fiber and nutrients and lower in calories. Second, reduce the amount of oil used in the recipe to 1 tablespoon or less, or use a non-stick cooking spray to reduce the number of calories from fat. Third, instead of using regular soy sauce, you can use a low sodium version or coconut aminos. Fourth, instead of using a whole small onion, use 1/4 to 1/2 of an onion to reduce the calories. Finally, reduce the amount of rice used to 1/2 cup and increase the amount of zucchini and other vegetables to add volume and fiber to the dish without adding too many calories. By making these substitutions, you can create a lower-calorie version of this delicious zucchini rice dish.
What to serve with a vietnamese zucchini rice?
Vietnamese zucchini rice can be served as a standalone dish, but it can also be paired with other dishes as part of a meal. To complement the flavors of the dish, it is best to serve it with dishes that are not too heavy or overpowering. Grilled or stir-fried tofu, sautéed bok choy, and a simple cucumber and tomato salad are all excellent options. You can also add some protein to the meal by serving it with grilled chicken or shrimp. Finish the meal with a refreshing fruit platter or a light dessert like Vietnamese style sweet coconut milk pudding (che chuoi).
Whats the best sauce for a vietnamese zucchini rice?
For Vietnamese zucchini rice, a simple chili garlic sauce would be a great option, as it adds a spicy kick without overpowering the delicate flavors of the dish. Another option could be a sweet and savory fish sauce, which is commonly used in Vietnamese cuisine and will enhance the umami flavor of the rice and zucchini. To make it, whisk together fish sauce, sugar, vinegar, garlic, and chili flakes until the sugar dissolves, then drizzle it over the rice and zucchini for a delicious finish. Ultimately, the best sauce for Vietnamese zucchini rice will depend on personal preference, so feel free to experiment with different sauces and flavors to find your favorite combination.
Vietnamese zucchini rice health benefits
Vietnamese zucchini rice is a healthy and delicious dish that can provide a number of health benefits. Zucchini is a low-calorie vegetable that is high in fiber, which can aid in digestion, promote feelings of fullness, and help regulate blood sugar levels. It is also rich in antioxidants, particularly vitamin C and beta-carotene, which can support immune function and protect against chronic disease. Brown rice, which is often used in this dish, is a good source of whole-grain fiber, which can improve digestive health and lower the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Overall, Vietnamese zucchini rice is a nutritious and flavorful dish that can help support overall health and well-being. If you’re looking for a different recipe that is even healthier, you might try a grilled salmon or tofu with roasted vegetables and quinoa.
Check out more of our favorite rice cookers below!